Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Favorite Ex-Wife's Cousin Dylan Sheffield From Wichita Falls Breaks Texas State High School Football Record For Passing Yards

Texas Passing Record Holder
Dylan Sheffield
As I walked around Fosdic Lake today my favorite ex-wife ignored the restraining order and called me because she had some exciting relative news to tell me.

My favorite ex-wife forgot what an ardent fan of Texas high school football I am and that I would have already known that her cousin, Dylan Sheffield, on Friday night, broke the Texas high school record for most passing yards.

Dylan quarterbacked 683 yards, scoring 7 touchdowns in leading Wichita Falls' win over Denton, with a final score of 53 to 49.

With 54 seconds left in the 4th quarter Wichita Falls was behind Denton, 49 to 46, after Denton's quarterback scored on a 5 yard run.

Then Dylan, with 28 seconds left in the game, threw an 81 yard game winning touchdown pass, with those 81 yards giving Dylan the state record, which had been set by someone named Mac Morse, who passed 634 yards in a game in 2009.

My favorite ex-wife also told me that Dylan was watching the Texas Rangers Saturday night, at the Ballpark in Arlington, and was shown on the Jumbotron, along with the info about his record setting football passing of the previous night, as if, me, ardent baseball fan that I am, did not already know this.

Okay, I have no idea who the Rangers were playing, though I think it's some sort of playoff deal that seems to have the locals being interested.

As you can well imagine, the story of Dylan's record breaking passing was all over the news in Texas. As well as nationally, what with Dylan's record being the second most yards thrown in the nation, that according to the National High School Sports Record Book.

Somehow Fort Worth's supposed newspaper of record, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, missed the news of Dylan's record, til the day after other Texas newspapers, like the Dallas Morning News, printed the story. The Star-Telegram eventually ran the AP wire story of Dylan's record.

What I'm not getting is how did the Star-Telegram miss this opportunity to use their patented "Green With Envy" verbiage, since, before moving to Wichita Falls, Dylan Sheffield was a Tarrant County boy, living in Burleson, the same town Kelly Clarkson came from.

4 comments:

Steve A said...

Just so your loyal readers can keep things straight. How many OTHER ex-wives are there? Besides your favorite one, I mean.

Durango said...

Steve A, I don't think I indicated that it was I who was married to my favorite ex-wife. Although I can see how it might be construed that that was implied.

Anonymous said...

Texas monthly named the Wichita Falls High School football program the best ever in Texas High School history a few years ago.

Wichita Falls and WF Rider were in my high school's district when I was a lad.

Anonymous said...

Who are you and how are you related? Just wondering! This is Dylan Sheffield's mom!!!