Saturday, October 22, 2011

Checking Out The Tandy Hills Prickly Pear Cactus Orchards Before Going To A Texas Rangers Themed Town Talk With Flappers At Wal-Mart

A Pair Of Prickly Pairs Almost Ripe For The Picking
On my way to Town Talk today I decided to check in on the Tandy Hills. I rarely experience a visit to the Tandy Hills without coming upon something perplexing or mysterious.

I think the Tandy Hills may be the Twin Peaks of Texas.

My primary reason for visiting the Tandy Hills today was to check in on Prickly Pear Cactus Orchards I have been closely monitoring.

Why would I be closely monitoring the Tandy Hills Prickly Pear Cactus Orchards you are possibly wondering to yourself.

Well. The Prickly Pear Cactus, in addition to producing prickly needles, also produces edible fruit. That would be the red pears you see in the photo, sitting on top of the Prickly Cactus.

Prickly Pears can be consumed in a variety of ways. I like Prickly Pear mixed in with lemonade. I also like Prickly Pear Jelly. It's very easy to make. Below is my favorite Prickly Pear recipe....

PRICKLY PEAR JELLY  
1 gal. prickly pear cactus fruit, very ripe, deep garnet color
4 c. juice
4 c. sugar
2 pkgs. fruit pectin
Gather the fruit using tong and gloves. Put fruit in sink with water. Using tongs, swish in water to remove stickers. Cut fruit in half. Place in large pan. Boil until fruit is shriveled. Mash with potato masher. Strain through jelly bag or cheese cloth. Bring juice and pectin to boil. Add sugar and boil to jelly stage. Pour into jelly glasses and seal.

Is garnet another way of saying "red?" I have no idea. I suppose I could look it up.

Town Talkers In Texas Rangers Championship T-Shirts
After surveying the Prickly Pear Cactus crop it was on to Town Talk and Super Wal-Mart, with the Wal-Mart made necessary due to the need for a bread product.

I was not long in to Town Talk when I noticed that all the people who work at Town Talk were in blue Texas Rangers Championship t-shirts.

Being a transplant I'm thinking I am not quite getting caught up in the excitement the locals seems to be experiencing regarding the World Series coming to town.

This World Series excitement thing was further in evidence at the Beach Street Wal-Mart. The greeter at one door was dressed like a Roaring 20s Flapper. The greeter at the other door was dressed like a princess. The store was busy, real busy, the day before Thanksgiving level of busy.

As I walked past the deli I saw a big sign advertising a Game Day Special of 100 pieces of fried chicken for $68.00. Usually it is 8 pieces for $5.88. I am math challenged so it is beyond my calculating ability to determine if it is a bargain to get 100 pieces of fried chicken for $68.00.

When the Super Bowl came to town I hauled myself down to the Cowboys Stadium zone a couple times to check out the madness. I do not feel similarly drawn to haul myself down to the Ballpark in Arlington zone to check out whatever madness may be going on there.

With about 3 and a half hours to go before the start of the 3rd game of the 2011 World Series, clouds have begun to blow in. Those clouds would seem to need to greatly increase if they have any hope of raining out tonight's game.

1 comment:

Don Young said...

Those little red fruits are known as "tunas".