Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Grand Nephew Spencer Jack Jones Is 4 Years, 3 Months & 1 Week Old Today And Building Trains

My favorite ex-sister-in-law emailed me a picture of my favorite grand nephew today.

Spencer Jack Jones is 4 years, 3 months and 1 week old today. I learned this from Spencer's blog.

Spencer's 4th birthday was on March 7. I did not get to attend Spencer's birthday party.

I have only gotten to play with Spencer once. I think it was August 6 of 2008. I know it was at Bay View State Park in the beautiful Skagit Valley of the state of Washington.

I saw on Spencer's blog that my ex-wife, who's name inspired Spencer's name, left a nice happy birthday comment on Spencer's blog.

I find it odd that my grand nephew is named after my ex-wife and she sees him much more frequently than I do.

It is a blessing to be part of a convoluted, confusing, confounding family. With a couple thousand mile buffer.

Previously Spencer had a thing where he was very fond of vacuum cleaners. Collecting them. Toy versions. Spencer's dad, my nephew Jason, had a thing for ferry boats. When Jason was a kid he replicated the entire Washington State Ferry fleet in model form. That is a lot of boats.

Spencer's new thing is trains. He built the train track you see in the picture, at my favorite ex-sister-in-law's house. Then Spencer wanted my FESIL to take a picture of the train to show his dad. Hence, eventually, the picture being sent to me.

I had to ponder it a bit, and I think after pondering I have it right. That being that since I met Spencer he has acquired 2 new uncles and a new aunt. Who are all younger than Spencer is. The uncles are David Jay and Theo John. The aunt is Ruby Jean.

I have no idea if Spencer has met his new uncles and aunt yet. I know I have not.

Spencer sure looks a lot like his grandpa, that being my brother, when my brother was a little kid. Near as I can remember. I find it odd that I hear from my favorite ex-sister-in-law more frequently than I do from my brother she was married to.

Like I said, it is a blessing to be part of a convoluted, confusing, confounding family. With a couple thousand mile buffer.

1 comment:

CatsPaw said...

Spencer Jack is a cute kid. I'm not so much a baby person and four year olds are pretty cool. They're old enough to be past the toddler stuff, can do a lot of things for themselves, and you can have good conversations with them.

My son was a train fanatic at that age (and for several years to come). There were constantly wooden or plastic track configurations underfoot and running through doorways and under furniture. We also had to go see or ride every real train possible. At one point, I don't think there was a crossing or rail yard within 25 miles we hadn't staked out watching for trains.