Thursday, May 26, 2011

It Is A Beautiful Day In The 32nd Most Bike Friendly State Of Texas

Looking skyward through the bars of my patio prison cell on this 26th morning of May I can see nothing but bright blue sky.

Looking at the forecast this morning I see a description for today I don't remember seeing in a weather forecast before.

Sunny and beautiful.

Is beauty not in the eye of the beholder? Maybe my idea of a beautiful day is foggy drizzle. Or snow.

Anyway, this morning I learned from the League of American Bicyclists that in a ranking of the American states, judging their relative bicycle friendliness, Texas ranked # 32. The state I lived in prior to Texas, that being Washington, ranked # 1.

Having pedaled a bike in both states I can see how Washington is more friendly to bicyclists than Texas is. But, I don't see how Washington is hugely more friendly, bike-wise than Texas is.

Then again, I don't read bike-related things in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram like I read this morning in the Seattle P-I. That being that Seattle is building a $10 million pedestrian bike bridge to take walkers and bikers from the lower Queen Anne Hill/Belltown zone, down to the Seattle waterfront.

There is no waterfront or hill to build a bridge to or from in Fort Worth. Although, lately, I've been a bit perplexed to see the Trinity River banks referred to as waterfront as part of the Trinity River Vision Boondoggle's propaganda campaign trying to convince the people of Fort Worth that a pig is a beautiful butterfly.

It is time to go swimming now. But I can't. Because there is no water in the pool.

4 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed riding my new bicycle. However, it's been a bit too windy to ride, until last night. The tranquil air touched with a crisp coolness, made for a most pleasurable ride.

Durango said...

CT2-----
What type bike did you get? Mountain bike?

CatsPaw said...

Hey now, there is no good reason to be disrespecting pigs (though they do enjoy a good Mud Puddle) which are lovely, intelligent creatures. (Less defense for the feral variety.) I would bristle (pig joke ... heh) less at, say, "... trying to convince the people of Fort Worth that an alligator gar is a beautiful butterfly."

It might better drive home the point that the Boondoggle is likely to bite us in the collective butt eventually.

Durango said...

CatsPaw----
I wish I had consulted with you before using pigs. Convincing people that an alligator gar is a butterfly is much better. Or maybe convincing people that an alligator gar was a minnow. I was having trouble this morning thinking clearly due to an aggravation that I don't wanna blog about! Not that that is any excuse for making an sort of derogatory remarks about pigs.