Monday, May 17, 2010

Taking A Walk With The Ghosts In Village Creek In Arlington

The past couple days I've been a little tired of feeling tired. Maybe I should not get up so early.

At the current time, coming up on 5 in the afternoon, I have been hearing thunder rolling in the distance for an hour, or so. The view out my window is a bit dark and foreboding. I hear birds chirping, but they don't sound happy. It sounds more as if they are sounding an urgent alarm.

It was in the 80s by noon. Extremely humid. I decided I wanted to take a walk with the Spirit World, so I went to Village Creek Natural Historic Area at noon.

This Area should be called Keechi Village Natural Historic Area. But it's not. I don't know how many Indians were murdered in this location, with this location being, at its heyday, the biggest Indian Village in America.

Nearby there was battle between the Native Americans, who owned this land, and the Illegal Aliens, who had invaded. Among those in the battle were two noteworthy Illegal Aliens, one being General Edward H. Tarrant, the other being Captain John B. Denton, both of whom would see their names used to name counties in Texas, well, in the case of Denton, a county and a town.

Captain Denton died in the attack on what was called Keechi Village. I believe General Tarrant was wounded, not fatally, in the 1841 attack on Keechi Village People, known as the Battle of Village Creek.

Today I sat on a bench and looked out at what I call the Indian Village Bayou. That's the view in the picture at the top. It can be an eerie spot. I have seen more snakes at this location than any other in Texas.

Above, on the right is a picture of a plaque installed near the western entry to Village Creek Natural Historic Area. If you click it you will see a big version that does a good job of telling the story of the significance of this location.

I think I may have accidentally brought an Indian Spirit home with me today. They are attracted to melancholy souls. Or so my Spirit Guide told me.

2 comments:

Adam Michael Wright said...

Hi. I'm making a short documentary that you might be interested in. It's primarily about unsavory history or haunting history of north Texas. I was just doing a little research and came across your blog here. I'd love to chat, if you don't mind. Also, where did you find this article attached at the bottom?

Respectfully,
Adam
405-714-4229
agoodjesture@yahoo.com

Durango said...

Adam Michael Wright--- I assume the document to which you refer is the photo near the end of the blog post. That photo is one of the informational historical markers in the Village Creek Historical Natural Area. There is that one near the entry off Dottie Lynn on the west side of the park. Then after you exit the park and are on the Bob Finlay Linear Park you come to a couple more historical markers, including one where the Battle of Village Creek took place which resulted in the death or injury of men named Denton and Tarrant, hence the names of the two counties.