Saturday, August 8, 2009

Snoqualmie Falls & The Queen Of Wink

I am back in I miss Washington mode again this morning. That is Snoqualmie Falls in the picture. If you were a Twin Peaks fan you likely recognize the Falls and the Lodge above the Falls, from that TV show.

The Queen of Wink has never seen a waterfall. When I saw this picture of Snoqualmie Falls this morning when I logged into Facebook, I felt compelled to swipe it and blog it to show the Queen what a big waterfall looks like.

Before I forget, I must credit Mike Bullock for the photo. It was from him I swiped it.

This picture appears to have been taken from the Park/Overlook. I have been at this location when the Snoqualmie River is in full flood mode. The only more powerful acts of Mother Nature I have experienced was a 6.5 earthquake and a volcano exploding.

When the Snoqualmie River is flooding the Falls has the ground shaking, the roar is deafening and so much spray is in the air you end up as wet as you'd be in a downpour.

Snoqualmie Falls is only about 20 miles east of Seattle, a short distance north of I-90. North Bend is a couple miles to the east. You can go there to the Mar-T Cafe and get some of that famous Twin Peaks cherry pie and coffee. I have had the Mar-T Cafe cherry pie and coffee. It really was not all that good. I don't know what Agent Cooper was thinking.

Below is a YouTube video of Snoqualmie Falls, taken on January 9, 2009, when the Snoqualmie River was in flood mode. And another YouTube video is below the flood, showing Snoqualmie Falls and the surrounding park area like it's looking right now, in summer...



4 comments:

Steve A said...

The lodge is the Salish Lodge. Good food there, and you'll get tired of watching the falls before you're done with the food.

There used to be a giant rock in the middle of the river at the falls, but they cleared it away with dynamite to improve the looks.

Durango said...

Thanks. I could not remember the name of the lodge when I wrote that blog and was too lazy to look it up. I always wanted to do the Sunday brunch at the Salish Lodge, but never did.

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Exquisite sound and impressive spray! There must be mega tons of energy rushing through that fall, barreling down and spewing the water so high...thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Been a long time since I was at Snoqualmie Falls. Lovely place.

Ya never mentioned your favorite long time Wa. friend was over in Seattle for the week-end. And in the area you grew up in. Old stomping grounds. Could that be part of why your soooo lonesome sir for Wa. state?

Maybe some day you will come meet me when I`m in the Seattle area.

Call me hun will tell ya what all I`ve done whilst coasting around.