Wednesday, March 29, 2023

In Washington Looking West Across Daffodil Fields At The Olympic Mountains


Many a time I have made mention of the fact that at my old home zone of the Skagit Valley, in Western Washington, no matter what direction one looks, east, west, north or south, one sees mountains.

At my current flat location no matter what direction I look there is nary a mountain to be seen.

I have frequently shared photos of my old home zone showing the mountains one sees from that location. 

Those photos I have previously shared have only shown the mountain view looking east from the Skagit Flats, usually with the Mount Baker volcano in the picture.

Yesterday, on Facebook, I saw the photo you see above. In that photo we are not looking east at the Cascade Mountain foothills, we are looking west, with that line of snow covered mountain peaks being the Olympic Mountains, located on the Olympic Peninsula.

Those land masses you see sticking out above the daffodil fields may be islands. I am not sure about the land masses on the left or right, but I am almost 100% certain the land mass in the middle is Fidalgo Island. That is where the town of Anacortes is located, and where you can find one of Washington's best hamburgers at the Fidalgo Drive-In.

In Anacortes you can hop aboard a Washington State Ferry and float to multiple islands.

For those reading this in Fort Worth, Texas, these are real islands, surrounded by real water. Not imaginary islands that might one day become an imaginary island if a cement lined ditch is ever actually dug, with river water diverted into the ditch.

I have not read anything about Fort Worth's imaginary island and that cement lined ditch in quite some time. The three little bridges, built over dry land, have been finished for quite some time, waiting for that water filled ditch to turn the bridges into the connection of the Fort Worth mainland to that imaginary island...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fidalgo Burger (Fidalgo Drive-In) sounds great right about now. I want to visit it when I visit the PNW. I’m the only one who calls it Fidalgo Burger by the way.

Fidalgo Fun Fact:

The Fidalgo Drive-In is a former A&W Root Beer stand/restaurant. Look closely at the architecture and you will see that l’m correct. Credit Google Street View for some of that info.

The only A&W I ever went to was in Western Washington somewhere. Was it this one? Not sure.

End Fidalgo Fun Fact.