Monday, December 4, 2017

Sikes Lake Geese Flocking Against Seagull Invasion

No, I did not drive to Galveston this morning to ride my bike on the seawall. One would be foolish to think such, looking at this photo of a bike's handlebars and a relatively calm sea which looks nothing like the Gulf of Mexico.

Those handlebars are aimed at Sikes Lake in Wichita Falls, not Galveston, a Sikes Lake with waves almost big enough to make whitecaps, due to a strong wind blowing in from the west.

That strong wind blowing in from the west is predicted to bring with it some extremely cold air, dropping today's balmy 80s somewhere down near the freezing zone.

Yesterday, or maybe it was the day before yesterday, I mentioned the fact that the Sikes Lake geese have become, well, I said militant, possibly radicalized, after learning some of the human species they see walking by them every day roast their kin for Christmas dinner.

On further examination I think it more accurate to suggest the Sikes Lake geese have become territorial, protecting the turf they believe to be theirs.

The territorial thing occurred to me when I came upon the scene below.


Okay, I only had my phone camera with me, which was not able to totally capture what is going on above. Sikes Lake is divided into two pieces by the dam barrier you see above. Why this dam barrier exists I have no idea.

Since I was at this location yesterday a huge flock of seagulls has arrived, possibly confused, thinking they have arrived at that aforementioned Gulf of Mexico.

You can see the spots of white seagulls on the north side of the dam barrier. On the south side of the dam barrier dozens of geese have taken up defensive positions, denying seagull access to what now appears to be the GEESE ONLY part of Sikes Lake. My sad bad photographer skills with a phone camera only show a few of the geese maintaining  a flock of seagulls vigil.

Soon after I left the Seagull/Goose Standoff Zone I came upon one of the GOOSE CHECKPOINTS one must pass through to make transit around Sikes Lake.


I showed my I.D. papers to the Inspector Goose on the left, after which, about a minute later, I was granted safe passage. Even so, one does not drop being wary about the possibility of getting goosed.

Due to all the mention made of late, by me, about geese, Betty Jo Bouvier, she being one of what are known as the Wild Women of Woolley, is thinking of acquiring a goose for house pet purposes, after consulting Aunt Alice about how Aunt Alice trained her goose, Gertrude, to use a litter box, among other domesticated behaviors which rendered Gertrude a welcome house guest of Aunt Alice's for many years.

I suspect I shall not be returning to Sikes Lake tomorrow to check in on the geese and seagulls, due to a near freezing temperature making such an excursion likely unappealing....

No comments: