Friday, December 22, 2017

Freezing With Snowflakes Falling In Wichita Falls

I lack the technical ability to cause my phone to take a photo of itself, so when I saw the phone was indicating the temperature had dropped to freezing, and the phone's home screen weather animating thing was indicating snowflakes were falling, I used my old-fashioned digital camera to take a photo of my new-fashioned phone.

The temperature had been predicted to be dropping today, starting to fall soon after the sun's arrival. But, the temperature drop accelerated much faster than the predicted drop.

By the time I bundled up to drive to ALDI and Walmart the temperature was a couple degrees above freezing, with huge plops of rain getting my windshield wet.

Since I have been in Texas no snowstorm has ever behaved in the manner the weather predictors indicated it would.

So, I fully anticipate waking up tomorrow to find myself snowbound. Or worse, with the outer world covered with thick ice.

Til moving to the South I had never experienced an Ice Storm. I was barely in Texas two weeks, located in the far north Fort Worth hamlet of Haslet when an Ice Storm delivered a shocking blow. We did not know what to do with the two cows left behind by the previous owner. Or how to turn off the water to the barn. Or what to do with the pool. Or where the water shut off  to the house was. Suffice to say, survival was managed, but it was a rude wakeup to how nasty the weather in Texas can be.

I remember arriving at that new house in Haslet and asking why the hell is there a big fireplace in here/ Two weeks later all the new arrivals from the Pacific Northwest knew why there was a fireplace.

I have lost count of how many Ice Storms I have been through now. Why is it this southern location has such a weather event, when in all my years in Western Washington never a single Ice Storm? If such a thing happened up there the damage would be horrific. The trees, all those trees. But, why, with so much precipitation falling in Western Washington, and the occasional Arctic Blast, why no Ice Storms?

Perplexing.

I must go on an additional outer wear and blanket hunt now. This place has no fireplace....

No comments: