Saturday, July 20, 2013

It Has Already Been 5 Years Since I Have Exited Texas To Return To Washington

It was 5 years go, this very day, July 20, 2008, that I saw the view you see here. That being the sea of peaks of the Cascade Mountains, with one of the Washington volcanoes sticking up higher than its fellow mountains.

5 years ago, today, around 4 o'clock in the afternoon, I drove to Dallas, to Love Field, to get on a Southwest Airlines airplane to fly to Albuquerque on the way to Seattle.

I left Texas with the air heated into the 100 degree zone. I arrived in the Pacific Northwest to find the air cooled to cooler than air-conditioning.

I pretty much shivered the entire month I was in Washington. The shivering was not entirely due to the chill in the air.

I am more than a little appalled that it has already been 5 years since I have been in Washington. When I flew out of Washington on August 20, 2008, I said, at the time, that it'd likely be at least 20 years before I returned.

I have since adjusted that time schedule.

But, unlike 5 years ago, I have no plans to fly up to Washington today. Instead of driving east to Dallas I think I'll drive west to Gateway Park and ride my bike before going treasure hunting at Town Talk.

2 comments:

Steve A said...

Really? Five years? Come up. Soon. Ocean Shores beckons...

Durango said...

Steve A, yes, really, it has been 5 years. And even longer since I've been to Ocean Shores. The last time in Ocean Shores would have been sometime in August of 2004.

Nine years ago.

I probably should be depressed about this.