Saturday, February 2, 2008

Columbia Anniversary

It was 5 years ago yesterday that north Texas was awakened by an explosion high overhead with debris falling from the sky. I did not hear the explosion or see the debris falling. But many did. I was laying on the floor reading my morning paper when the disaster struck. I didn't know it had happened until I checked my email and saw a news update from MSNBC.com.

When I realized what had happened I performed my post 9/11 duty of calling those I know on the west coast, who were still asleep, to let them know something awful has happened and that it was time to get up and turn on the TV.

The morning of 9/11 calls were very strange to make. I didn't want to tell people outright what had happened. I just told them they needed to turn on their TV and probably not go to work today. I particularly thought my little sister should stay home since she worked high up in a Seattle skyscraper and at that point in time who knew how many more airliners had been hijacked.

That day 5 years ago yesterday brought about the most unusual freeway warning signs I've seen. Sort of surreal. The one above was taken looking west past the Fort Worth UFO towards downtown Fort Worth.

No comments: