Monday, January 20, 2020

Nature Communing On Wichita Bluffs With Graffiti

It had been a few days since last I communed with nature.

So, on this 2020 version of Martin Luther King Day I did some nature communing at the Wichita Bluff Nature Area, along with multiple other communing nature lovers.

Today I was in walk mode, thought it to be too cold to be in bike mode. I thought wrong. Was perfect conditions for bike wheel rolling.

In the photo you are seeing my shadow appearing to adjust my headgear, whilst taking a photo of one of the lookouts which look out over the Wichita River valley below.

I do not know if a statistic exists of such, but I would not be surprised if Wichita Falls has the world's highest per capita number of swinging park benches. Two of which you see not swinging above.

I had barely begun my communing with nature when I came upon something disgusting.


An idiot, or collection of idiots, had sprayed graffiti on the retaining wall one walks by early on upon leaving the parking lot at the west entry to the Wichita Bluff Nature Area.

The above photo shows only a small amount of the total mess.

Rather brazen to do this in such a visible location, or so it seems to me.

Years ago I painted a building in Tacoma. The day after I finished painting I return to see that one entire wall had had graffiti sprayed on it. I was told this was known as 'tagging' and that gangs of hoodlums did this when they saw something newly painted.

I do not know if Wichita Falls has gangs of tagging hoodlums on the loose. I do not recollect seeing any graffiti before. At least not on the scale that I found today.

Wichita Falls has about as many abandoned commercial buildings in a sad state of eyesore as the town has actual functioning commercial buildings.

Those abandoned buildings would seem to be a great target for tagging by gangs of hoodlums. It might help lessen their eyesore aspect...

No comments: