Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Another North Texas Winter Weather Advisory With Slick Roads & Snow On The Ground

My Snowy Tuesday Morning View
When I opened my blinds this morning, a short time before the arrival of the sun, I was not expecting to see what looked like snow laying around in the outer world at my location.

I knew something called sleet was in the forecast for this morning. I might have thought this white stuff was sleet, except for the fact I saw what appeared to be snowflakes falling.

Currently the outer world at my location is chilled to 4 degrees below freezing.

Apparently driving is very hazardous this morning.

Yesterday afternoon I was talking to the Tacoma Belle when my phone made its incoming call noise. It was my mom, so I switched from the Tacoma Belle to my mom.

Among many bits of info, my mom told me that the Phoenix zone has been having record breaking cold, as in well below freezing.

My mom is worried they will lose their orange and grapefruit trees. And their Bougainvillea.

The Phoenix zone is so well landscaped, unlike my current location, with a lot of the color coming from the Bougainvillea, it'd be a real bad thing to have all that plant life killed by a deep freeze.

I don't know if I am going to be able to leave my abode today via motorized vehicular transport.


Let's see what this WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY is advising....

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST TODAY...

* TIMING...AREAS OF SNOW AND SLEET OVER GREENVILLE...PARIS AND SULPHUR SPRINGS WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE NORTHEAST WHILE DIMINISHING IN INTENSITY THROUGH 9 AM. MEANWHILE LIGHT DRIZZLE HAS DEVELOPED OVER MUCH OF THE REMAINDER OF THE ADVISORY AREA AND THIS IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH 11 AM OR NOON CST. WITH TEMPERATURES REMAINING BELOW FREEZING FOR THESE AREAS...FREEZING DRIZZLE IS LIKELY.

* MAIN IMPACT...WHILE MOST ACCUMULATING SNOW AND SLEET HAS COME TO AN END OVER THE ADVISORY AREA...IT HAS LEFT ELEVATED BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES SLICK AND IMPASSABLE IN SOME LOCATIONS. FREEZING DRIZZLE IS EXPECTED TO REDEVELOP OVER THE ENTIRE ADVISORY AREA FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE MORNING HOURS. LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL ONLY EXACERBATE ICY ROAD CONDITIONS ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES...MAKING TRAVEL ON THESE SURFACES EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS.

* AMOUNTS...SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE QUARTER TO ONE INCH HAVE ALREADY BEEN REPORTED ACROSS THE ENTIRE ADVISORY AREA. LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE IS EXPECTED TO CAUSE AN ADDITIONAL LIGHT COATING OF ICE ON ELEVATED ROADWAYS...INCLUDING BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF WINTER PRECIPITATION MAY CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND PLAN ON SOME TRAVEL DELAYS.

1 comment:

Steve A said...

Hmm, the biggest problem with the bike commute this morning was that my safety glasses tended to fog up...