Sunday, July 11, 2010

Wal-Mart & Its Possibly Criminal Bad Business Practices

I was having me a good Sunday. Long swim this morning. The successful, 2nd try, concocting of hummus. Another adventure with the Chase Bank ATM, which went better than the last one. A call to my sister in Phoenix, that started with talking to my brother-in-law, then talking to my sister while I walked in Village Creek Natural Historic Area.

And then, needing lemon juice, I went to the Eastchase Wal-Mart Supercenter in Fort Worth where I experienced the Wal-Mart Sucks Problem.

I had not experienced Wal-Mart Sucking for awhile.

But, today I got 6 items, in addition to the lemon juice.

One of the items was a box of 6 bars of soap. I knew the total for what I was buying would be about 11 dollars. When the checkout girl said it was $15 something I knew a mistake had been made. I hit the final button on the debit card thing.

She gave me the receipt. I quickly saw the soap had been added twice. The checkout girl told me she only saw it show once when she scanned the soap. I saw that too on the display facing the customer.

She told me I had to go to customer service to get my money back. In Wal-Mart, customer service is what I believe is known as an oxymoron.

I waited in line for maybe 5 minutes, had to sign a slip of paper, then money was returned to me. No, apology, no sorry for wasting your time, nothing.

As I left it occurred to me that this was a very wrong thing that had happened. I only bought a few items. What if I had a cartful, buying a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff? Would I have noticed something ringing up wrong?

It seems to me that taking extra money out of my bank account, by whatever means, is what is known as stealing. Yes, I got my money back. But I did not get the time stolen from me back.

And what about those people who don't notice that Wal-Mart has stolen from them? With them Wal-Mart succeeded in stealing extra money from their bank account.

I think it is HUGELY wrong that you have to go to customer service to get your money back in this type scenario. There should be someone who's only purpose is to take care of such supposed errors. And have the error quickly investigated to make sure there is not some sort of systematic mistake going on, like when Wal-Mart was not ringing up the correct milk price, system-wide.

I think until proven otherwise merchant errors of this sort should be treated as a criminal act no different than shoplifting.

But, until that happens, all I can do is blog about Wal-Mart sucking. I am not alone. Google "Wal-Mart Sucks" and you'll see what I mean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like someone with too much time on his hands. The rest of us are grateful for the prices at Walmart so we can feed our kids and get home to our reasonably priced television sets and sit a spell.