Saturday, May 15, 2010

Remembering Uncle Mel & The Burned Green Beans

That is my Uncle Mel, with a cow, somewhere in Whatcom County in Washington, back in the late 1940s, or early 1950s.

Uncle Mel was born March 18, 1939 in Lynden, Washington. Uncle Mel died, yesterday, May 14, 2010.

Uncle Mel was diagnosed with prostate cancer, shortly after July 27, 2002. I remember that date because it was the date of the biggest family reunion in my family's history. It took place in Lynden.

Uncle Mel seemed fine when I talked to him at that reunion, so I was quite surprised to learn a short time later that he had cancer and that it had metastasized. The prognosis was not good.

But, somehow Uncle Mel fought the cancer for 8 years. During those 8 years Uncle Mel and my Aunt Judy traveled the country visiting relatives. On at least 2, maybe 3 occasions, all of Uncle Mel's siblings, including my dad, met up somewhere in America. Once it was at Salt Lake City. Another time it was in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

I had 2 uncles after whom I modeled my extremely successful uncle career, one was Uncle Mooch, the other Uncle Mel.

Soon after we moved from the town I was born in, Eugene, Oregon, to Mount Vernon, Washington, Uncle Mel moved in with us, for awhile, while he went to college across the street at the newly opened Skagit Valley College. I think it had a different name back then.

My memory is a bit foggy, I don't remember how long Uncle Mel went to Skagit. I do remember an incident where he was supposed to be watching after me and my siblings, and dinner, that was on the stove, cooking. I don't know where my mom was, but Uncle Mel fell asleep. And the green beans burned. I remember this as a big deal at the time and the source of much amusement.

In early 1961 Uncle Mel married Aunt Judy. That wedding remains one of the most mysterious to ever occur in my family. Soon after getting married Uncle Mel enlisted in the Air Force. He was stationed in Turkey.

And Texas.

One of my cousins was born in San Angelo and another was born in Waco.

Unlike me, my Uncle Mel and family quickly escaped Texas and returned to the Northwest, eventually building a house outside Lynden, where my cousin, Mike, built the most elaborate treehouse I have ever seen.

Uncle Mel retired in 1998, 4 years before he was to learn he had cancer.

The last time I saw my Uncle Mel was in April of 2006, at my nephew's wedding reception in Mount Vernon. I remember a picture was taken with me and my siblings and Uncle Mel. I'll see if I can find it.

Okay, found it, that's Uncle Mel and Aunt Judy in the middle. I'm on the far right in my controversial brown cargo pants.

See the blonde in black, second from the left? That is my sister who lives in the Phoenix zone. This morning my phone rang, I saw it was her. I knew it was not good news. I flipped open the phone and asked, "What's happened?" "Uncle Mel has died," she said. My mom and dad had given my sister the call the siblings job.

Uncle Mel, April of 2006, in Mount Vernon

6 comments:

Steve A said...

An unusually good Durango post. RIP Uncle Mel...

Anonymous said...

Sincere condolensces, Durango. Peace, Uncle Mel.

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Awww...Good bye Uncle Mel. :-)

Carlotta Camano said...

Is Uncle Mel having a memorial service? Are you coming "home" for it? The "valley" could use a visit from Durango!

Durango said...

Uncle Mel is having a memorial service. Currently, I do not believe I am going home for it. Durango would like to visit the valley. I called my mom this morning. I thought she might be thinking I needed to head north. They also aren't planning on going 'home.' With good reason. Dad's got a bad cold, mom's foot is in a cast-like thing.

twister said...

Memorial services are more for the living, than for the deceased. Uncle Mel wont mind if you're unable to show up. It's when we're alive that we're best able to pay our respects and it sounds like your Uncle Mel was aware of this by making the rounds and visiting everyone. RIP, Uncle Mel.