Thursday, June 15, 2023

In Leavenworth Tumwater Twisting On Washington's First Alpine Coaster


 A year ago, this month, my nephew, Jason and his eldest, Spencer Jack, visited Leavenworth where they learned of a new addition to the Leavenworth landscape, under construction.

I blogged about this in Leavenworth Adventure Park Tumwater Twister.

Well, the Leavenworth Adventure Park is now open. And it looks fun. The above is a screen cap from a Seattle TV news story about Washington's First Alpine Coaster.

For some reason this Google Blogger app is not working in its usual way of allowing the embedding of a video. You can click Washington's First Alpine Coaster and that will take you directly to the YouTube video that I can not embed.

Leavenworth is my favorite of Washington's themed tourist towns. Leavenworth is Bavarian themed.

This came about way back in the 1960s when Leavenworth became a dying town due to a slowdown of the logging industry. So, the town decided something major had to be done, or the town would become a ghost town. 

It was decided to turn Leavenworth into an Alpine Bavarian themed town. The main street was converted to a new Bavarian look. Soon that look spread all over town. And Leavenworth became a boom town, a HUGE tourist attraction, year round. 

You can go to the Leavenworth Adventure Park website for a good look at this new Leavenworth attraction.

Leavenworth is a year round attraction. In summer it can be quite crowded.

I recollect being in Leavenworth in winter and having a mighty fine time cross country skiing trails in the town's park alongside the Wenatchee River.

I have not been to Leavenworth in over 20 years. The last time was in August of 2001. At that point in time Leavenworth was the staging area for fire fighters fighting big wildfires in the Cascade Mountains. I recollect the air was quite smoky.

The Texas town I am currently sitting in, Wichita Falls, should look into building an Alpine Coaster on Mount Wichita.

But, I do not think this town could possibly pull off becoming Bavarian themed. The lack of real mountains would be problematic.

When I was first in Texas, before the new century arrived, we learned of a nearby Texas town that sold itself as a German themed town, due to the fact most of the town's residents were of German descent.

I do not know why we thought Muenster might be a Leavenworth caliber tourist town, but that is what we thought. We were barely past the Muenster city limits sign when we realized Muenster was not anything like Leavenworth. 

When next I am in Washington maybe I'll make it to Leavenworth. I am surprised Jason and Spencer Jack have not yet made it there to ride the Tumwater Twister...

No comments: