Wednesday, September 29, 2021

First Fall Hiking The Lucy Park Jungle


With the outer world chilled to a comfortable temperature I thought a hike in Lucy Park would be salubrious today. This is the time of year when it begins being appealing to do such. I suspect I shall be hiking the Wichita Bluff Natural Area this week, as well.

Above you are looking at the Lucy Park suspension bridge which crosses the Wichita River. When I got to this location an elderly couple with wild big white hair was slowly crossing. I knew they would not appreciate me getting on the bridge whilst they were trying to cross, because it is impossible to stop the bridge from swaying. 

As I howdy-ed the pair, as they finally got back to land, both cautioned me to tread lightly because some of the planks look ready to fail. When I crossed the planks did look a little more tired than they have looked previously.

Continuing on.


Off the suspension bridge, halfway between the bridge and the Lucy Park log cabin, I saw the interesting looking foliage you see above. I like the varied collection of trees which grow in Lucy Park.

Changing the subject back to the weather. Today blue sky has returned. Yesterday the blue sky left right on schedule, replaced by angry looking thunder clouds. Eventually, around the time the sun ceased illuminating, a brief thunderstorm erupted, along with what I thought were the tornado sirens.

I could hear rumbling in the distance, but no flashes. And then suddenly there was an explosively bright thunderbolt, with an equally explosive BOOM, simultaneous with the flash, meaning the lightning bolt struck real close.

Not much rain fell. By morning the outer world was mostly dry. And I saw no sign of where that lightning bolt struck earth. 

More storming is on the menu for this afternoon.

No comments: