Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Where Is All This Wichita Falls Water Coming From?

With rain in copious amounts once again in the forecast I decided to have myself one more long bike ride before the possible deluge arrives.

Once again I opted for rolling my wheels to Lake Wichita Dam and the loop around Mount Wichita.

As soon as I got on the Circle Trail today, with Holliday Creek coming into view, I was surprised to see the creek is still running a lot of water through Holliday Canyon.

Where is all this water coming from? Days after the rain ceased.

This morning I learned Lucy Park is flooded due to the Wichita River trying to move more water than it is used to moving. Holliday Creek enters the Wichita River downstream from Lucy Park, so the Holliday Creek flood is not contributing to Lucy's flooding.

I saw a disturbing photo of the Wichita River running higher than the pedestrian suspension bridge which crosses the river in Lucy Park. I hope this has not done serious damage to that fun bridge.

Continuing on with rolling my handlebars around Lake Wichita.


As you can see, Lake Wichita, at this point in flooding time, is very close to the Circle Trail. That is Mount Wichita you see in the background. Mount Wichita does not appear to be in any danger of being surrounding by a flooding Lake Wichita. So far.

Strong thunderstorms are also in the forecast for later today. I hope those do not materialize. The recent thunderstorm with its accompanying long power outage seems way too recent to be wanting to see a repeat.

No comments: