Thursday, October 9, 2014

Rolling Wheels In My Neighborhood On A Street Named After A Fungal Disease

Today I rolled  my bike wheels without rolling my motorized vehicle's wheels first. In other words I took my handlebars on a tour of the neighborhood.

The roads to the west of my neighborhood power line greenbelt are smoothly paved, wide, hilly, and with little traffic.

At one point I stopped my handlebars to take a picture of the odd item springing from the ground you see on the left. Is this some sort of art installation?

Rolling my wheels on these roads reminds me very much of rolling my wheels in my old home zone, that being the Thunderbird area of Mount Vernon.

In Thunderbird all the streets had Indian names. I lived on Pawnee Lane. Pawnee is a cul-de-sac that connects to Apache Drive. Apache Drive comes in contact with Kiowa Drive, Seneca Drive, Mohawk Drive, Cherokee Lane, Comanche Drive, Iroquois Drive, and, well, you get the idea.

Where I rolled my wheels today the streets mostly seem to be named after vegetation. Such as Palo Verde Lane, Cholla Lane, Lantana Lane, Silverleaf Drive. Well, those four are the only ones I remember and of the four the only one that I am almost certain is vegetation is Palo Verde. I think that means Green Bush.

I must go Google now and find out for sure what Palo Verde means. Silverleaf, too. Silverleaf sounds like it must be vegetation.

Wow.

Turns out my initial instinct was correct. The streets are named after vegetation. Well, vegetation related. Palo Verde is a green bush. Cholla is a type of cactus. Lantana is a tropical evergreen shrub. Silverleaf is a fungal disease of ornamental and fruit trees.

Why would anyone name a street after a fungal disease?

No comments: