Friday, January 7, 2011

Up Early In Texas On The First Friday Of 2011 Searching For Firewood

I am up early this first Friday of 2011, looking through the bars of my patio prison cell at my hot hot tub, sitting there in the balmy 44 degree heat, waiting to heat me up.

The forecast is looking good for tomorrow's 2nd Annual Tandy Hills Manly Men & Wild Women Hike.

I do not know how many Manly Men & Wild Women are expected to be in attendance tomorrow. Last year the number was in the 100 hikers zone. Plus a few dogs.

I need to get maximum enjoyment out of our current semi-balmy temperatures, before next week's predicted plunge into a Deep Freeze arrives.

I probably should stock up on some firewood in anticipation of a possible power outage during the upcoming Deep Freeze.

Several years ago the power went out during a Deep Freeze, with me finding myself quickly quite cold. I had no firewood. But I did have several big phone books. I figured the phone books had previously been wood. And so should burn and put off some heat.

Which they did. But the residue of the burned phone books remains in my fireplace to this day.

Maybe I can find myself some firewood on the Tandy Hills today. Mesquite should burn with a nice aroma.

In the meantime, I'm going swimming. Talk to you later.

3 comments:

Betty Jo Bouvier said...

I will try and make it for the first time...to the Tandy Hills Manly Men and Wild Women Walk.

Durango said...

Which airport are you flying in to? D/FW or Love Field? And do you need me to pick you up? Or have you already arranged transport?

Betty Jo Bouvier said...

Sorry, I missed my flight. Maybe next year.