Friday, October 12, 2012

I Can Not Stop Talking Out Of My Tailpipe Because Of Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex Public Transportation Shortcomings

Today, Friday, my route to Oakland Lake Park, to walk around Fosdick Lake, took me by the closed Fort Worth East Regional Library on Bridge Street.

This route also takes me by a billboard I have been making note of for months, making note and wondering what the purpose is of this billboard.

So, today I parked underneath the aforementioned billboard and took a picture of it.

STOP TALKING OUT OF YOUR TAILPIPE, the billboard instructs me.

Seeing this billboard the past many months I assumed it had to do with vehicles with emissions problems, suggesting that someone with such a problem should stop it.

This confused me, because in the D/FW Metroplex zone you have to get your vehicle inspected annually. So, the talking out of your tailpipe problem would seem to already be legislatively addressed.

Even so, I ever so often see a vehicle spewing clouds of exhaust and wonder how this vehicle does not get stopped, ticketed and taken off the road. And how it managed to pass the emissions test.

I also wondered, even though the local municipalities are flush with cash, why money would be spent on such a thing as this billboard, with this one on Bridge Street likely not being the only example of such a billboard?

Clearly, spending money on a billboard with this important message is more important than keeping public libraries open.

Then I noticed on the lower right part of the billboard there is a website address.

StopTalkingOutYourTailpipe.com.

I went to the Stop Talking Out Your Tailpipe website and found this...


So, this billboard is all about trying to get you out of your vehicle because "With all the incredible public transportation options available in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, the reasons for not riding are just a bunch of hot air."

Hot air. Unfortunate choice of words.

Yeah, the D/FW public transport system is incredible. Like it is incredible that you can not ride any Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex public transit, in any form, to Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington. Or the Ballpark in Arlington. Or Hurricane Harbor in Arlington. Or the Cowboy Stadium in Arlington.

Arlington is the biggest city in America with no public transportation, even though there are all these imaginary incredible public transportation options in the D/FW Metroplex, according to these talking out of their tailpipes people.

Every week, or so, I drive about 6 miles to the ALDI in Hurst. There is no public transportation that would take me from my location to Hurst. I am fairly certain Hurst is part of the D/FW Metroplex.

A couple weeks ago one of my nephews was in Lewisville for 5 days. I did not feel like driving up to Lewisville to see my nephew because I did not want to be talking that long out of my tailpipe. There is no public transportation from my location to Lewisville. I am fairly certain Lewisville is part of the D/FW Metroplex.

Gar the Texan lives in Flower Mound. I can think of few things I'd rather do than drive to Flower Mound to visit Gar the Texas. Flower Mound is closer to me than Lewisville, but still a distance I would not like to have my tailpipe talking. There is no public transportation that would take me from my location to Flower Mound. I am fairly certain Flower Mound is part of the D/FW Metroplex.

I'd like to go to the Glass Cactus at Gaylord Texan up in Grapevine. But, I would not want to drive home after spending a few hours in the Glass Cactus. There is no public transportation that would take me from my location to Grapevine, and back.  I am fairly certain Grapevine is part of the D/FW Metroplex.

So, who is behind wasting money on this absurdly demented propaganda about all the non-existent incredible public transportation options available in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metoplex?

3 comments:

Double Ugly said...

There is a Cowboys Coach bus that runs from downtown Fort Worth to all Cowboys home games in Arlington. 3 college games including one at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas will have bus service from Cowtown.

Years ago I could pick up the Cowboys Coach at Ridgmar Mall in west Fort Worth and go to the now demolished Texas Stadium that was in Irving. Game day only of course.

Durango said...

Double Ugly, I am not sure about it, but I am almost sure that having special transport for a game day is not usually thought of as a systematic public transportation system. I knew about taking the TRE to Dallas and then taking a DART train to the State Fair. For a couple years not I've thought I'd do that, and then don't get around to doing so.

Steve A said...

OTOH, you can take a bus from Ocean Shores to Olympia with only one transfer.