Monday, November 21, 2011

Alma, The Songbird Of The Texas Gulf Coast, Taught Me How To Successfully Peel A Hard-Boiled Egg

Blowing On A Hard-Boiled Egg
That sort of looks like me, in the picture, doing something to a white object.

But it is not me.

I think I've made mention previously of the fact that Alma, the Songbird of the Texas Gulf Coast, currently crooning in various venues in Port Aransas, daily emails me a lot of good, funny, useful stuff.

I do not remember if I've made mention previously of the fact that I like to cook. I enjoy the process. To cook efficiently you have to juggle multiple issues. Having good cooking tools is helpful.

The one thing about cooking that has always vexed me, til now, is hard-boiled eggs. Sometimes they peel easy, sometimes they don't. I've Googled for tips on how to easily make easy to peel hard-boiled eggs and met with very limited success.

And then, a couple days ago, Alma emailed me a link to a YouTube video showing how to successfully peel a hard-boiled egg.

I watched the video and thought there was no way this would work.

The instructions were to boil the eggs at a soft boil, covered with 2 inches of water, for 12 minutes. Then cool the eggs. Then make a hole in each end of the egg. Then blow through a hole, popping out the egg, shell-free, at the other end.

The instructions also called for baking soda to be added to the water to raise the PH level. I had no baking soda when I tried the blow hole method of peeling an egg.

Without the baking soda I still had the easiest time ever of getting the shell of a hard-boiled egg. Previous to trying this I thought if the egg actually did pop out that it would be difficult to catch the flying egg. This turned out to be a non-issue.

Below is the YouTube video Alma sent me.....

No comments: