Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Volunteers Feed Fort Worth Stock Show's Homeless Day Laborers

I saw that which you see here this morning on Facebook.

Apparently the Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo is employing Fort Worth homeless people as day laborers.

And, according to the Facebooker's comment at the top, we can intuit those homeless day laborers have been provided 6,000 sack lunches from Fort Worth churches.

As you can see, the source for the photo and the caption below the photo is the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

I tried to find the Fort Worth Star-Telegram article about the Stock Show's homeless day laborers, to no avail.

How much are the homeless day laborers being paid, I can not help but wonder? Are they being paid in free lunches?

How do the Fort Worth homeless people get transported to the Fort Worth Stock Show? Do buses arrive each morning in the Fort Worth Homeless District, on the opposite side of downtown Fort Worth from the Fort Worth Cultural District, where the Stock Show is located, to take the homeless people to the Stock Show?

How many homeless people are being day laborers at the Stock Show? And what labor are they laboring at during the day?

Who decides who gets hired for the day? Is it first on the bus gets the job for the day?

I remember a shocking experience I experienced soon upon my arrival in Texas. I was checking out the Water Gardens in downtown Fort Worth. At that point in time the elevated I-30 freeway still hovered over Lancaster and the south end of downtown. When I drove away from the Water Gardens, in my white van, I saw a statue like thing, looking all neglected.

I was curious about the neglected statue, and so I stopped to check it out. I had barely exited the van when I saw that dozens of men were running towards me. This made me a bit nervous. And then suddenly they stopped and went back from whence they came, that being under the elevated freeway.

I was later to learn that these were day laborers, desperately hoping to get work for the day, who thought I was driving a van looking for someone to work for me, and then realized I was just a tourist. I had never experienced such a thing before and at that point in time I had no idea such a thing existed in America.

Anyway, I wonder if a similar scene occurs each morning in Fort Worth's Homeless District when buses arrive to haul day laborers to the Stock Show?

By the way, that neglected statue I was checking out was a monument to Al Hayne and Fort Worth's Spring Palace. The neglected monument has since been restored to its original glory and now is surrounded by a park-like setting befitting its historical significance.

No comments: