Monday, June 17, 2013

The 3rd Monday Of June Dawns Stormy In North Texas

In the picture you are outside, standing on my patio, overlooking the swimming pool below. I believe those odd blobs in the foreground are big raindrops, due to the fact that, at the time I stepped outside, my camera was under its Popabrella, due to a downpour pouring down.

When I exited my abode, to go swimming, this morning around 7, a strong wind was blowing. A noisy strong wind.

By the time I got to the pool zone drops of wet began to dot the ground.

I was not long in the pool when the power went poof, rendering the pool's fountain and waterfall silent. The silence was pleasantly eerie.

And then the rain went into downpour mode. I was having myself a really fine time, swimming in the rain.

And then I saw a flash of light. The power came back on, along with the fountain and waterfall. Eerie silence had been replaced by the noisy splashing of multitudes of swollen raindrops. Another flash of light and I counted 7 seconds before the boom.

The flash was to the west of me. Then there was a flash to the south of me. Still 7 seconds distant. Then a flash to the east of me. Still 7 seconds distant. Then a flash to the north of me, this one only 3 seconds distant, bringing a very loud boom.

Soon the flashes started growing brighter and more frequent, with the booms louder. A total surround sound storm.

I decided to err on the side of caution and exit the pool,  even though it is at a low spot, surrounded by trees which I assume would be the first choice lightning would make for a strike if it was striking in my location.

As you can see below, via the data graphic from my computer based weather monitoring device,  it is cold. Only 68 degrees, with the Wind Chill Factor making it feel even colder at 63. Brrrr.


Is someone making a typo error when they type "AREAL" I wondered when I saw the above FLOOD ADVISORY".

As you can see, stormy weather is in store for today and tomorrow at my location on the planet.

I suppose around noon I will find out if Village Creek is flooding again, with the Village Creek Natural Historical Area closed. If it is open I think I will have myself a humid walk with the Indian Ghosts who haunt their former hometown.

No comments: