Sunday, March 15, 2015

Won't You Please Help Me If You Can I'm Feeling Down?

This morning I found myself saying "One thing for sure, those days are gone, nowadays I'm not so self assured, now I find my mind has changed, help me if you can, I'm feeling down".

Or something like that.

I thought the words coming out of my mouth sounded familiar, then I realized I was channeling 1965 and the Beatles.

Help.

I've decided Help is my new theme song. Partial lyrics below, full song even further below, via YouTube...

Help, I need somebody
Help, not just anybody
Help, you know, I need someone

When I was younger, so much younger than today 
I never needed anybody's help in any way 
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured 
Now I find, I've changed my mind, I've opened up the doors 

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being 'round
Help me get my feet back on the ground
Won't you, please, please help me? 

And now my life has changed in, oh, so many ways 
My independence seems to vanish in the haze 
But every now and then I feel so insecure 
I know that I just need you like I've never done before 

Won't you, please, please help me?
Help me, help me
____________________________________

Speaking of the Beatles and the ways someone can lose face with me.

Years ago I knew a native Texan, born, raised and educated in the Lone Star State, who went to a Beatles tribute concert after which this person, via his blog, opined how surprised he was at all this incredible Beatles music he'd never heard before.

Huh?

I recollect being totally bum puzzled, how anyone on the planet would not be aware of the Beatles  and the impact they had on America and the rest of the world.

I remember expressing my bum puzzlement to the Texan, asking him something like how could he be unaware of the greatest band of the rock and roll era?

The Texan then lost more face by saying something like a greatest band judgement would be  totally subjective, said as if he thought he was making a valid argument.

To which I replied that it is pretty much universally acknowledged that the Beatles are the greatest band of the rock era. I pointed the individual to the Wikipedia article about The Beatles, hoping this would educate the boy.

The Texan then lost more face by making one of those typical dissing Wikipedia remarks, along the line that one can not trust what one reads in Wikipedia due to anyone being able to contribute.

To which I told the Texan to simply look in any other encyclopedia or similar information source and he'd be reading the same thing. Or simply Google "best rock band in history".

The first paragraph of the Wikipedia article about The Beatles...

The Beatles were an English rock band that formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the greatest and most influential act of the rock era. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several genres, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelic and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements in innovative ways. In the early 1960s, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania", but as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, they came to be perceived as an embodiment of the ideals shared by the era's sociocultural revolutions.

And now the aforementioned YouTube video of Help.....

3 comments:

CatsPaw said...

People who didn't live through that era (or were oblivious to pop culture) cannot understand how all-encompassing the Beatles, the subsequent British Invasion and revolution in American music and society were.

My first-ever concert was seeing the Beatles in 1966. My friends and I prepared all summer in rabid anticipation, plotting how to get backstage. (One of the friends has had a career as a music writer and has met Paul McCartney several times over the years.) George was supposed to marry me, but something went terribly wrong and I've never quite gotten past it.

Durango said...

CatsPaw, I had no clue about your involvement with Mr. Harrison. Sad things is, if you had married him, as you had planned, you would have now been a lonely widow for years.

As for those who did not experience the revolutionary 60s, I recollect telling that Texan I referenced that were it not for the Beatles he would not have grown up in Texas with a ridiculous looking mullet mop on his head.

Anonymous said...

Better run for your life if you can little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with J.D. Granger,
That's the end a, little girl....