Monday, March 9, 2015

Wading My Stir Crazy Skinny Self To Miss Puerto Rico's Rainy View

This day in Texas would be one to make me homesick for my old home zone if I were missing a stereotypical Western Washington winter day of dark clouds and slow rain with extreme dampness.

Seems like only yesterday, but I think it was Friday, I took a blue sky photo of the view from Miss Puerto Rico's balcony.

What you are looking at here is the view today, a few minutes ago, from Miss Puerto Rico's balcony.

No, I did not use what is known locally as Luenser filter to distort what my eyes were really seeing. I don't know how to use such a filter. The above is what my camera saw with no help from me except to turn it on, aim and push a button.

It felt good to put on a raincoat and go for a walk under the dripping sky. I'd not done such in quite a while, sans bumbershoot.

I was feeling a bit stir crazy, cooped up, mostly from way too many hours of seeing meta-tags, viewports and misbehaving DOCTYPE declarations.

Changing the subject from misbehaving DOCTYPE declarations to something else.

Today I got on the scale for the first time in awhile. I'd noticed of late that any pair of pants I put on are extremely comfortable, with my favorite pairs requiring severe belt cinching to keep the pants aloft.

Well.

I do not remember when it was I realized I had once again put on too much weight. But it was well over a year ago. At that point in time I got on a scale, struggled to look down over my swollen gut to see the scale read 217.

That's pretty heavy for a short guy like me.

So, today I got on the scale and was easily able to read the reading with no swollen guttage getting in the way. That reading read 179.

Just a second, I must get a calculator, challenged as I am at high level math.

217 - 179 =

Found the calculator.

38 pounds. There are almost 40 pounds less of me than when I was a swollen blimp.

Don't ask me how I managed to lose so much weight. It ain't like I've been on a diet. I do eat nutritiously though. And I don't indulge. When I found I'd become a blimp I did cease buying things like butter and peanuts.

I am a bit concerned that the pool is going to feel more cool to me than when I was better insulated. I suppose I will adjust...

2 comments:

MLK said...

Having lost 65 lbs since this time last year, I can relate to this post. I am preparing for my triumphant return to Fort Worth, and hopefully my lighter self will be able to handle the heat. Here in the PNW, I stay cold, all the time. Cold to the bone. So the 100 degree days might feel good.

Durango said...

I feel your pain, I mean, cold, MLK. My last time in the Tacoma zone, July 20 - August 20, 2008, I was cold the entire month. Whilst the locals thought it was HOT at times, in the 70s. I'd flown out of Love Field with the temperature in the 100s. Arrived at Sea-Tac with the temperature in the 50s. And began shivering. During that visit I was subjected to the idiot opinions of Tacoma's most morbidly obese woman who informed me, repeatedly, that I was only whining about being cold to get attention. This from someone so layered in blubber that she could not get cold if submerged with a fellow whale in the frigid Arctic Ocean, and having lived nowhere but the climate of Western Washington, and due to that being an idiot thing, had no clue about the concept of acclimation to temperature change. You will adjust just fine to your return to the land of HOT summers!