Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A Tardy Texas Celebration Of National Grammar Day

I did not know until this morning, via Facebook, that grammar had a special day called Grammar Day and that this special day was celebrated last Wednesday, March 4, to be precise.

I do not know how such an important celebration passed by my radar screen without notice.

Apparently National Grammar Day has been observed in America on every 4th of March since 2008.

National Grammar Day was instigated by the founder of the Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar, Martha Brockenbrough.

I admit I find the careless use of bad grammar to be a bit annoying, with some of that annoyance coming from the fact that many of the bad grammar users seem not to care to learn how to correct their bad grammar.

I also must admit that I have accidented into a bad grammar incident a time or two. I remember one mortifying incident where I typed "your" when "you're" was obviously the word I should have typed.

I've known an individual for whom the misuse of  "your" and other grammar mistakes is like a fingerprint, identifying her when she thinks she is being anonymous.

In tardy celebration of National Grammar Day below you will find a collection of amusing grammar memes I found Googling this morning....


I really do not think one accidental typo type misuse of "your" indicates someone is an idiot. I do, however, think chronically making this mistake is a strong indicator of a very low IQ.


Yikes, I think that is true of me. I do make a judgement about someone if they use bad grammar, as in I devalue whatever it is they are trying to incompetently say. Meanwhile I am 100% judgement free when it comes to race, creed, color or gender.
The same people who don't get how it is that "your" is not the word they should be using likely will not get what the above comma is doing.


That same "your" type grammar confuser likely will not get the above comma either. Usually when a person is grammar challenged the problem is not just one chronic misuse, like "your".

Woman and women come to mind.

I recollect one grammar challenged person's verbiage using a line, directed at a single female, typing "I am sure your a fine women."


There you go. Above is another classic example of the type word those challenged by "your" also mess up.


I wonder how many hunters thought the above sign was giving them permission to hide in the bushes whilst hunting pedestrians walking the trail?


One would think the above makes the point clearly enough that one of those "your" challenged, I mean "you're" challenged, sorts would finally figure it out.

Finally we come to my favorite grammar meme I found this morning...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who in their right mind would prefer cuddling to sex?

Durango said...

Anonymous, to whom are you directing your cuddling inquiry? I know of no one who has stated the preference to which you refer.

Anonymous said...

I would rather have sex then cuddle then have sex again. But if I had a choice between the two, I would rather have sex than cuddle!

Unknown said...

Grammar Day? I've never heard about it but I'd like to participate. I hope all my mistakes even made will be forgiven. By the way, using this source you will not make writing mistakes at all http://royalediting.com/what-you-should-know-about-national-grammar-day