Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tonight Facebook Faced Me With A Lot Of Fallen Tigers

I was already having myself a melancholy Sunday evening when I checked in on Facebook and soon found myself looking at a picture of my big sister, who is currently up in Alaska, sitting at a picnic table in Bay View State Park, in Washington.

I do not remember what it was that brought me to this particular Facebook page, except for the fact that it was a link that showed up on my Facebook page. What that link said that caused me to click it, I don't remember.

But, when I clicked the link I found myself on a Facebook page about Fallen Tigers.

Tigers, as in Burlington-Edison High School Tigers, with Tigers being the mascot of the high school from which I graduated a few decades ago.

Fallen Tigers is dedicated to those who have passed on. It was a bit moving, starting with the suicide of a classmate of my aforementioned big sister. That tragedy seems so long ago, and yet, so recent.

I think you have to have a Facebook account to check out Fallen Tigers, but I'm not sure about that.


Last summer, the day after a class reunion, which I missed, Honey Lulu called me. We had fun trying to figure out who the people were in the photos we were getting of the reunion. Whilst talking to Honey Lulu we talked about various people.


Prior to Honey Lulu calling I had been looking at my ancient high school yearbooks.

I remember asking Honey Lulu if she knew anything about Steve Straub, this guy who was 2 years older than me, who left an impression on me. He was a really smart, nice guy. Well, I was a bit saddened to see that Steve Straub is on the list of Fallen Tigers. What befell him, was not revealed.

I was surprised by how many of the Fallen Tigers I remember, who I did not know had fallen.

Life is really short, and we, the living, really need to make all of it we can, while we can.

2 comments:

Stu Langley said...

We all rather fall into a view of life that is rather steady state- time seems to stand still until something reminds us that time flies by, that life is short and their are no guarantees of how short it might be.
A colleague I know through a client of mine, lost a dear friend in an auto accident over the weekend.
Yes, Durango, life is short and thank you for helping us all remember how precious this time is.

Steve A said...

That Facebook page is so sad - all the hopes and dreams and aspirations of many are wrapped up in it.