Friday, January 28, 2011

An Amazing Amount Of Litter Indicates It Is Perfectly Okay To Mess With Texas

I think one of the biggest industries in Texas must be the production of litter.

This is particularly noticeable when a lot of rain washes an amazing amount of litter into the Trinity River.

You see a lot of "Don't Mess With Texas" signs in Texas. I've been here for awhile now and I still don't understand this slogan. It obviously has nothing to do with no littering.

I took the picture with the "TRUE TO TEXAS" beer can at one of my favorite Fort Worth locations, Oakland Lake Park.

In this morning's Fort Worth Star-Telegram there was a litter letter-to-the-editor, with the litter letter writer making an amazing litter claim....

Road hazard

Passengers of designated drivers must consume a large volume of alcohol. On a two-mile stretch of highway south of Benbrook, I counted 1,638 cans that had been thrown out of vehicle windows. That was in addition to all the bottles.

Do you think a few people have forgotten "Don't mess with Texas"?

-- Allen McDermott, Fort Worth

I would think Mr. McDermott was exaggerating if I'd not seen similar things in Texas with my own eyes. But, I've never taken the time to count cans. I don't know if I could count that high without getting distracted.

4 comments:

Woolysheep said...

We have that problem in our neighborhood. It seems there is an awful lot of drinking while driving going on around here because everyday I seen new beer bottles and cans thrown out on the park and neighbors lawns lining Westcreek Drive.

So not only are these folks doing this dangerous, they are dangerous A-holes too.

Anonymous said...

Do you ever pick up litter on your hikes?

Durango said...

Mr. or Ms. Anonymous, I pick up litter all the time, not just on hikes.

Bosco said...

I noticed an empty 40 ounce (not mine) on a fence post at Tandy Park last Sunday when I was in east Cowtown.

I'll be in east Fort Worth again tomorrow taking household chemical waste to the Bridge St. collection site.