Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Trip To The Post Office Finds A Fort Worth Police Officer Critically Injured In Chase

I left here about 3, this afternoon, heading to the library and post office. As soon as I had a view of the horizon I saw helicopters hovering over the freeway.

By the time I got to the library I could see traffic eastbound on Interstate 30 was not moving.

I was at the library all of a minute. As I left Miss Puerto Rico called to tell me she'd never seen so many police cars. She was over by Taco Bueno. Which is by the post office.

Driving past Taco Bueno, on Handley Road, I saw two police cars blocking entry to the freeway. Handley makes a bend past the post office. Around the bend I saw where the trouble was. Cars were backed up on Handley at the site of the problem.

As I joined the traffic jam I got out my camera and turned it on. The police cruiser you see in the picture came into view.

The car looked bent, as if it'd wrapped around the tree that appears to be coming out of the car.

This was the end result of a high speed chase that began in Mansfield. The Tarrant County Sheriff's Department had a house under surveillance due to it being a suspected Meth Lab House.

A couple of motorcylists left the house. The police began their pursuit. Fort Worth police were asked to join the chase, after which the crash occurred, just a short distance east of the I-30/I-820 Mixmaster Exchange.

The police officer was critically injured in the accident when his car slammed into the tree you see in the picture.

I have long been of the opinion that police chases of this sort should only be allowed for the most serious and dangerous of crimes. The police and public should not have been in this type danger chasing suspected drug dealers on motorbikes.

In my opinion.

No word yet if the police caught the motorcyclists they were chasing.

No comments: