Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hellacious Texas Storms & Toxic People

We've had hellacious storms here in Texas the last 24 hours. With a number of damage causing small tornadoes. I tried to go to bed after midnight, but went in to total insomnia mode. About 3am I started hearing rumbling in the distance. Within a half hour I was in a War Zone with non-stop Thunder and Lightning. I heard Tornado Sirens in the distance. The storm went on for a couple hours. For a few minutes it was directly over head with the Lightning Strikes and Thunder being simultaneous.

So, I don't think I nodded off even once. I got up about 6am and have been grumpy ever since. Maybe it's caused by the lack of sleep but right now I'm thinking I need a break from dealing with Toxic People. Years ago I read a book by Lillian Glass called "Toxic People: 10 ways of dealing with people who make your life miserable". It was a very helpful book.

I'm thinking of giving myself a 7 day timeout from any possible contact with anyone Toxic. Turn off my phone, not read email, basically avoid human contact as much as possible til I'm ready to deal with the Toxic People again.

I'll probably keep doing my Boring Blogging during my timeout. It's a salubrious outlet for my aggravations to get to vent into the wind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear, this could have been written by me all the way from the storm, the insomnia and the toxic people! I think I'll have to get the book you spoke about so I can handle that toxic person I work for! Love your blog.

Durango said...

I'm so tired. If only I could take a nap. But I lost that skill years ago. I've been getting calls and emails from concerned people wondering if they are toxic. I've lied a couple times and said, "of course not, if I answered the phone you couldn't possibly be toxic."

Have you been out and about and seen the damage from last night? It's pretty bad. Lottsa knocked down trees, including my favorite big mulberry tree at Oakland Lake Park in FW.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think as we age, we lose the ability to nap - at least when we would really like to. Again, I know what you mean by the 'toxic', however, we have this innate desire to not hurt people's feelings so we lie.

And yep, I've seen lots of damage and am very grateful that no one was seriously injured and hope everyone's power is soon restored. Am sad about your favorite mulberry tree too.