Friday, September 17, 2021

Madame McNutty Takes Me Back To Lake Powell Meditations


I was Facebook messaging with Madame McNutty this morning when somehow something about Seattle's Fremont Sunday Market led me to point MM to web pages I made a long long time ago about a Lake Powell Houseboat trip way back in 1994.

Madame McNutty then asked me who Homer was. I did not remember nicknaming anyone with the Homer name, so I had to go to Hell Houseboat: a Lake Powell Houseboat Adventure to remember that Homer is what I called Wally at that point in time. Wally and Big Ed are also known as the Goober Twins.

On the Bobcat Cove Hell Houseboat page I saw the photo you see above, which I had forgotten about.
That is me meditating atop a cliff overlooking Bobcat Cove and my temporary floating dwelling. There was a lot of skinny dipping in Lake Powell on that particular trip. I do not remember if I was in skinny dip mode whilst atop that cliff.

Two of my fellow floaters were seriously disturbing acrophobes. More than once while we were on Lake Powell I got yelled at for being too close to what they thought to be a dangerous precipice, including interrupting my peaceful, safe meditating whilst atop that redrock cliff.

I knew that in about four days I was going to subject the acrophobes to their scariest fear of heights episode ever when were off the houseboat, heading to the San Juan Inn in Mexican Hat, with the Moki Dugway our road to the San Juan River Valley below. 

When we reached the precipice which the Moki Dugway descends, with dire warning signs, the acrophobe van began flashing its headlights, signaling the need to stop. Neither acrophobe felt brave enough to drive down that precipice. So, I assigned that task to Homer/Wally. I learned later that when we began the descent one acrophobe put a pillow case over her head while the other laid on the floor of the van guzzling vodka.

I've driven down the Moki Dugway twice. It is a little scary, as in you would be toast if the brakes failed. The second time down the Moki Dugway was after the second Lake Powell Houseboat adventure. That second time I knew what to expect. It still was scary.

I wonder if and when I will ever drive down something like the Moki Dugway again?

No comments: