Friday, February 19, 2021

In Downtown Wichita Falls With The Big Texas Thaw

 


The Big Texas Chill finally went above freezing on this 3rd Friday of the 2021 version of February.

The Big Thaw is underway.

I drove to downtown Wichita Falls this morning, before the Big Thaw began. The roads were clear, for the most part, on the way to downtown. In the downtown zone the main streets had been plowed, such as what you see above, with the side streets not plowed so much. This made it a bit challenging.

In the view above we are looking east. I can't remember the name of the street, but it's the one due north of Scott Avenue. Scott Avenue used to be the main drag through town, before the freeway arrival.

That building you see above on the left is called the Stone Palace. I think so named because it used to be owned by someone last name of Stone. I have no idea why it is called a Palace. I have been in the Stone Palace twice.

The first time in the Stone Palace was soon upon my arrival in this town. It was in October, a month before the shocking election of the worst president in American history. The Wichita Falls Adult Literacy Council was holding their annual Spelling Bee. I was a cheerleader on one of the Spelling Bee teams. The other cheerleader was someone named Angela. We did not do much cheerleading. The BBQ that was part of the Spelling Bee was good.

My second time in the Stone Palace was to attend a rally for Beto O'Rourke. It was about a month before Beto almost beat Creepy Cruz in the 2018 midterm election. Since then Beto's stock has risen dramatically, whilst Creepy Cruz has become even creepier, what with being an enabler of Trump's insurrection, and shortly after that escaping Texas and its power disaster to find heat in Cancun, while Beto remained in Texas helping with the disaster in multiple ways.

Beto in person was impressive. I think if I experienced Rafael Edwardo Cruz in person I would have the same reaction I have when I see a big slithering snake.

Switching back to the ongoing Texas Disaster. My hot water is back, slowly getting warmer.

So, my only remaining reminder of the Storm is the thick coating of snow that will likely linger for awhile as it slowly melts away. That and all the containers I have strewn about filled with water...

No comments: