Saturday, October 5, 2019

Ruby & David Race Theo To New Cabin On Puget Sound Island

I was feeling just a little despondently depressed this first Saturday of the 2019 version of October.

And then this afternoon incoming email from Tacoma, with photos, cheered me totally free from my despondent depressed state of mind.

A few paragraphs of text explain the photos you will see here.

First...

Ruby, Max, Nica and Theo C. at the finish. With Nica’s little brother cheering them on.

That appears to be my one and only all time Favorite Niece Ruby, crossing the finish line first, followed by longtime boyfriend, Max, right behind Ruby. I do not believe I have met Nica, or her little brother. Or Theo C. I have met Theo S, who is Ruby's twin.


And then text explaining what all this running is all about...

David and Ruby signed up for cross country and had their second meet yesterday. It’s pretty cute. Ruby’s age ran a mile, David’s a little more. David has a soccer game today and it will be interesting to see how he does because I suspect his legs are tired. He was almost last and had to walk at parts but he plugged along and finished.


And the explanation as to why my Favorite Nephew Theo was not running with Ruby and David...

It was at the middle school next to Swan Creek so Theo and Kristin went bike riding while I stood around and watched the runners.

That is Theo under a bike helmet above, holding what looks to be some sort of cookie, leaning on a table with a thermos with a "YOU'LL LIKE TACOMA" message stuck to it.

What's not to like about Tacoma? That would be a good slogan too. Lots of parks, all with modern facilities, multiple public pools, streets with sidewalks, free to ride light rail from an intermodal transit center to downtown Tacoma, a pair of HUGE suspension bridges, built over actual deep fast moving water (built in less than four years), miles of developed waterfront, none of which took decades to develop while employing a local politician's incompetent son, with the billions of bucks spent on development in Tacoma coming from private investors, not pork barrel welfare handouts such as some backwards backwater towns in America rely on to try and do the simplest of public works projects. Such as build three little bridges over dry land.

And then in the other cheering news I learned there will be a new vacation cabin to visit when I am in Washington next summer...

We are buying a vacation cabin on Hartstene Island.  It is in a gated community called Hartstene Pointe.(you can Google it, interesting history as it was started by Weyerhaeusers.) The house doesn’t have a view of the water but the community has 3.5 miles of private beach, an outdoor pool and hot tub that is open in summer, 5 miles of walking trails, tennis courts and a lagoon where the kids can learn to row a kayak. They can ride their bikes all over. It’s less than a 5 minute walk to the beach from our place. We hope to spend a ton of time out there, especially in the summer.


Now that is a cozy looking cabin. With wooded surroundings. I miss being outdoors where it smells like Christmas trees year round.


That is one cozy looking deck. I like the wide wood planks.


And that is one cozy looking kitchen. I do not remember when last I cooked in a kitchen whilst being able to gaze out windows at an evergreen forest. Likely it was 1998, in my kitchen in Mount Vernon. My sources tell me the cabin will be ready for cooking by November. I am available for Thanksgiving dinner chef duty, if needed.


Above is a sky view of the lagoon where the kids can learn to kayak. The water looks crystal clear. Something I do not see very often at my current location. I wonder if they hold Rockin' the Lagoon Happy Hour Kayak Floats in the lagoon in summer? Likely not.

No comments: