Saturday, September 15, 2018

Cloudy Cool Humid Scenic Wichita Bluff Nature Area Saturday Hike

Clouds, a not too hot temperature, and humidity, seemed to make for a combo of factors which might possibly result in a pleasant Saturday hike in my favorite Wichita Falls hiking location, that being the Wichita Bluff Nature Area section of the Circle Trail.

I soon found I was correct in my pleasant assumption.

In the first photo you are looking from an overlook near the east entry to the Wichita Bluff Nature Area.

I tried to convince a fellow hiker to pose on that chunk of rock cantilevered out over the Wichita River, but my powers of persuasion were not sufficient to get the fellow hiker to do so. And so that photo opportunity was lost to me.

Above you are looking at another view from the same overlook where we looked over that cantilevered rock. As you can see the guard rail fencing on this section of the Circle Trail is quite substantial. It appears to be made of galvanized steel.

Other sections of the Circle Trail have guard railing which is not quite so substantial. Such as that which tries to keep people from falling into Holliday Creek as they pass under Midwestern Boulevard. At that section the railing is made of wood, with sections missing.


If one is in need of shelter as one hikes the Wichita Bluff Nature Area, there are several covered areas such as you see above, where one can take refuge from a sudden downpour or lightning strikes or the blazing sun. None of which made an appearance today.

The last time I hiked the Circle Trail through the Wichita Bluff Nature Area I continued on, out of the Nature Area, to the new section of trail under construction. Today I did not do so, partly due to what you see below.


That and I did not want to go on a multi-mile hike today.

Since my last visit to this location yellow crime scene, I mean, caution tape has been added to the "Trail Closed Ahead" wooden barricade, with that yellow caution tape extending from the wooden barricade to bushes a short distance from the trail.

No scofflaws were in evidence ignoring the obstacle and caution tape. I suspect before the weekend is over a scofflaw or two will venture past the current barricade...

No comments: