Thursday, September 28, 2017

Final SAD September Thursday With Wet Wichita Falls Egrets

How much more of this is a person expected to endure before cracking from feeling SAD (Seasonally Affected Disorder)?

Day three of clouds dripping wet stuff on all the places I prefer to be dry.

Overnight, in addition to the water droppage, the temperature also dropped. A low in the low 50s overnight. Only 64 mid-afternoon in chilly wet Wichita Falls.

I had some slight respite from the chill, yesterday, in the D/FW zone, where I was able to ride my bike from River Legacy Park, in Arlington, to the Viridian development, also in Arlington. More on that, maybe, later.

It was semi-cold yesterday morning when I headed towards Dallas, and so I was wearing long pants for the first time since I was in Washington in August. The long pants turned out to be a mistake, due to the air being heated into the 80s by the time I got to River Legacy.

So, today, I was feeling a bit housebound, due to the constant drippage, when coming up on noon the dripping abated. I was already in sweatpants. All I needed to do was add a sweatshirt and an ear covering hat and I was good to go on the Circle Trail.

As soon as I got on the Circle Trail I saw Holliday Creek was running more water than I'd ever seen roaring through that canyon previously. I figured rolling to Lake Wichita Dam might be interesting, possibly with copious amounts of water spilling over the spillway.

About a mile later big drops started dripping. I continued on. Passing under Kemp Street the dam spillway came into view.  I saw water was flowing over the entire length of the spillway, but not in amounts copious enough to make the ground rumble, or a mist, or a slight roar.

On top of the dam I took the Circle Trail spur which leads to overlooking the spillway, and the homage to an egret which has been painted on the south side's wall. As soon as I got my camera turned on an egret arrived to pose with its doppelganger painted on the wall.

That is the close up view of the egrets, above, and a more zoomed out view below.


Soon after taking the above photos the rain started becoming more of a nuisance, and so I began a high speed return to my abode. I was not too wet by the time I opened my front door.

I do not know when this bout of bad weather is scheduled to end. My sun tan is quickly beginning to fade. Rapid winter type weight gain is likely soon to follow.

Unless the sun and the heat it brings returns, which I suspect will be the case. I hope...

No comments: