Thursday, February 23, 2017

Record Breaking Temperature Has Me Thinking About Being Stuck On An Imaginary Fort Worth Island

Does that view looking north from the Wichita Falls Circle Trail look HOT to you?

I heard via the radio, a few minutes ago, we may be heating up to a record high today.

Currently, barely past noon, the outer world at my location is not quite HOT, but is merely extra warm at 77 degrees.

I do not know if I will be able to resist turning on the air conditioning today.

If I do turn on the A/C I believe  this will be my first time doing such a thing in February.

I remember a February day a couple decades ago, when I lived in the Puget Sound zone of the Pacific Northwest, a rare winter heat wave struck with temperatures in the 70s. Or was it 80s? I don't remember. What I do remember is Washingtonians by the thousands  flocked to the beach. I recollect my beach of choice that day was the one at Camano Island State Park.

I had not thought of it before, til typing Camano Island,  that my old home zone actually has one thing in common with Fort Worth.

Imaginary islands.

There were two islands which were not islands a short distance from my Washington abode. The aforementioned Camano Island and Samish Island.

Fort Worth's imaginary island is called Panther Island.  Currently Fort Worth is stuck trying to figure out how to build three simple little  bridges over dry land to connect to the imaginary island.

A key difference between those two Washington islands, which are not islands, and Fort Worth's island, which is not an island, is the Washington islands were actual islands before farmers built dikes to hold back the saltwater.

Now that you are making me think about, Camano Island may actually still be an island. It has been years since I drove to that island, but I am sort of remembering a bridge crossing to the island, which would seem to indicate Camano Island is still an actual island.

Even if Fort Worth ever manages to dig a ditch under those three non-existent bridges, and fill that ditch with water, I don't think any sane person would consider the result to be an island.

When I starting writing this blogging about it being HOT I sure did not think I would somehow end up on an island...

No comments: