Sunday, October 9, 2016

Unable To Launch Canoe While Suspended In Lucy Park Over Flooding Wichita River

For Power Walking purposes today I power steered my motorized transportation device to Lucy Park to walk fast on the paved trail that circles the park and is part of the Circle Trail which circles Wichita Falls.

As you can see, via the photo of the Lucy Park Suspension bridge, the bridge is currently suspended above the Wichita River flowing with a lot more water than what flows in low flow mode.

The man with his dog, which you see on the suspension bridge, was with his wife who wanted to have nothing to do with walking on that bridge as it swayed above the flooding river.

I did not walk by Wichita Falls, but I am sure the falls is still not falling due to the high water causing the falls to be in shut down mode due to what I have learned are mud clogging the pumps issues.

Near the Lucy Park Suspension Bridge there is a sign listing all the attributes one finds in the park, including a canoe launch. A person reading this sign, at the same time as me, asked where is this canoe launch of which the sign speaks, further saying he had never seen such a thing and that he had been all over the park.

I informed this person that as a long time Wichita Falls resident I could lead him to the canoe launch.


About a half mile later we came to the Lucy Park Canoe Launch, currently flooded and not in canoe launch mode, as you can see above.

Months ago, after I blogged about Lucy Park and verbalized wondering how this park came to be named such, an employee of the City of Wichita Falls contacted me and told me she was making a video for the city about Lucy Park. She explained how the park came to be and said there was plaque installed in the park with the short version of why Lucy Park is so named.

Til today I had never come across the Lucy Park plaque whilst walking around the park.


Turns out the Lucy Park plaque is on the north side of the Lucy Park Duck Pond. Today the Duck Pond was free of geese, so I had no getting goosed incidents on this visit.

The plaque tells us that...

THE CITY OF WICHITA FALLS GRATEFULLY ACKNOWLEDGES THE GENEROUS CONTRIBUTION OF LUCY PARK BY FRANCES ANN DICKINSON IN MEMORY OF HER MOTHER LUCY O'NEILL SAUNDERS FOR WHOM THE PARK IS NAMED.

Lucy O'Neill Saunders made a fortune in the oil business, making several lucrative strikes in several lucrative oil fields.

No comments: