Friday, September 23, 2016

Avoiding Getting Goosed At Sikes Lake Thinking Thanksgiving Turkey Substitute

The forecast for this next to last Friday of September, the second day of Fall, was for a sky clear of clouds, with clouds arriving later tonight, possibly bringing thunderstorms tomorrow.

However, by an hour before noon, the blue sky was already obliterated by gray clouds, for the most part.

With the temperature almost chilly, barely in the 80s,

I opted to roll myself to Sikes Lakes to do some goose walking prior to the possible arrival of sky drippage and lightning bolts.

The quacking population of Sikes Lakes seems to have grown of late. I was thinking such critters are supposed to fly south for the winter, but I guess the South is where these birds already are.

The Sikes Lakes geese are extremely territorial. I have been chased a time or two, but never successfully goosed. I was goosed once by a mad goose in a raspberry field in Washington.

Once you have experienced the pain of a goosing you do not want to repeat the experience.

When one of the Sikes Lake flocks decides to move to a new feeding location, such as across the road from the lake, the geese make the trek single file, slowly waddling, impervious to the fact they are blocking the flow of traffic, and paying no attention to horns honking.

Methnks perhaps the Sikes Lake flock could use some thinning. I have known people who have a stuffed goose for Thanksgiving rather than the traditional turkey....

1 comment:

Stenotrophomonas said...

<>

Made me recall back in the early 1980's as a new resident of Fort Worth taking a morning run around Oakland Lake Park. I came upon a group of a couple dozen geese who didn't appreciate my charging into them, formed an impenetrable wall and started attacking me. I turned right around and it was decades before I ventured to the north side of the lake.
I don't know if it's because I move slower now, or the geese are more mellow, but it hasn't happened since.