Monday, August 29, 2016

Hoping The Lake Wichita Revitalization Project Happens Soon

I was back in Lake Wichita Park today, climbing to the summit of Mount Wichita.

I cut the mountain climbing short due to there being way too many skeeters skeetering about.

I'm assuming the recent rain and the drop in temperature has the mosquitoes out and about in bloody bite mode.

When a skeeter skeetered to my left ear lobe I decided to seek skeeter free shelter.

I was not long in Wichita Falls before I learned there was a local effort known as the Lake Wichita Revitalization Project, aimed at returning Lake Wichita to its former glory, well, actually, even more glorious than its former glory days of long ago.

Below is an artist's rendering of one aspect of the proposed Lake Wichita Revitalization.


In the view from the summit, in the photo at the top, we are looking down on the area where hopefully soon the beach you see above will be built.

The Wichita Falls city website is where I gleaned the beach scene, along with a lot of other information about this project.

The Lake Wichita Revitalization Project came into existence a couple years ago. Currently the permitting process is underway, with the project taking 1.5 to 3 years to complete. The lake will be drained and dredged so as to make for a deeper, healthier lake. Water features will be added, such as a canoe/kayak trail which will wind its way around Mount Wichita and a new mountain which will be added near Mount Wichita.

I have not been in Wichita Falls long enough to know if this project is actually going to happen, or if it will end up being like a Fort Worth project, as in dawdle along in slow motion, blustered by a lot of hot air, turning into an embarrassing boondoggle due to corruption, ineptness, poor planning and, well, wanton stupidity.

I suspect, judging by what I have seen so far in Wichita Falls, with so many things, like city parks, done so well, and events, such as the just completed Hotter'N Hell 100, done so well, that the Lake Wichita Revitalization Project is going to happen, and will happen in a timely fashion.

And the end result will be a HUGE boon to Wichita Falls and the entire Texoma region.

I hope the Lake Wichita Revitalization happens much sooner than later. I want another mountain to climb, a lake to swim in and a kayak trail to paddle on....

No comments: