Wednesday, June 1, 2016

In Texas Enjoying A Basket Of Washington's Favorite Fruit

An email from Spencer Jack's dad, my Favorite Nephew Jason, amused me this morning.

Subject line: Any guesses on Washington's favorite fruit? Hint: It's not an apple.

The link in the subject line goes to a Seattle Refined article titled, appropriately, Any guesses on Washington's favorite fruit? Hint: It's not an apple.

The reason this amused me was because of what you see in the photo. The only fresh fruit in my kitchen.

A basket of my favorite fruit, Mangoes.

And the list of Washington's Top Ten Favorite Fruits...
  1. Mango
  2. Peach
  3. Raspberry
  4. Cherry
  5. Rainier Cherries
  6. Pomegranate
  7. Pear
  8. Plum
  9. Lemon
  10. Melon
Mangoes are not commercially grown in Washington, as far as I know. Nor are Pomegranates or Lemons. Maybe a Melon or two are grown. I vaguely recollect Watermelons growing in the Eastern Washington HOT zone.

As for Apples not being in the Washington Top Ten. Well, let's just say Apples are plentiful, in many varieties, and thus they become ordinary. And often free for the picking. Whilst Mangoes are exotic and delicious, much more so, to my taste buds, than a Washington Delicious Apple.

But, where are Apricots on this list? Apricots are my second most favorite fresh fruit. Can't remember when I last had a fresh Washington Apricot. Maybe summer of 2001 when Wanda and Wally drove me over to Eastern Washington when I was up there for my mom and dad's 50th.

Rainier Cherries are another favorite. I remember when last I had Rainier Cherries. August 8, 2008, in Seattle.

And why aren't Strawberries on this list? Apparently Strawberry topped the list in more states than any other fruit. You have not had a real Strawberry til you have a Washington Strawberry. California's Driscoll Strawberries should be prosecuted for committing Strawberry fraud.

I have heard Texas Strawberries from Poteet are good. But, they are not in wide supply, and thus I have never sampled one.

No comments: