Monday, January 18, 2016

Martin Luther King Day Walk With Arlington's Indian Ghosts

Overnight my location on the planet was chilled to around 27 degrees. Coming up on noon the outer world had heated up to a degree above freezing.

With the temperature a degree above freezing I thought it a good idea to layer on the outerwear and take myself to Arlington for a Martin Luther King Day walk with the Indian Ghosts who haunt the Village Creek Natural Historical Area.

Turns out I was over-layered in outerwear. The lack of wind and wind's attendant wind chill factor made the almost freezing temperature easily tolerated.

As I walked with the Indian Ghosts and reached the area of the Village Creek Brown Bayou Overlook I came upon harbingers of spring in the form of bright yellow wildflowers.


How can these delicate blooms be coloring up the landscape when the temperature is in winter freeze mode?

I put the camera in macro mode to get the close up of the yellow beauty you see at the top.

These delicate yellow wildflowers looked as if they should spew a pleasant fragrance, but up close pleasant is not the word I would use to describe this particular wildflower's fragrance. Pungent might be a good word.

With wildflowers appearing in the dead of winter is this a good sign that this year's Texas Wildflower Season is going to be a bumper crop? Last year the wildflowers were a bit of a bust, due to, I think, the drought.

It's only about two months now til spring gets sprung. I eagerly anticipate that happening.....

No comments: