Monday, October 19, 2015

Apparently One Should Not Bother Trying To Explain Things To Idiots

I saw that which you see here a couple days ago on the world's most popular social network.

I thought it to be amusing.

And so true.

Around the time of the last Tarrant Region Water District Board Election I picked up a few Fleas, I mean Friends, on that aforementioned world's most popular social network.

I would get one of those "Confirm Friend" messages, with the message informing me that the Friend requester was also Friend's with other specified Friends on my Friends list.

So, I would confirm the Friend requests of the Friends I'd never met and knew nothing about, if they were Friends with someone who was an actual Friend who I had actually met, such as Elsie Hotpepper.

The world's most popular social network has this thing called "The Timeline" where you see some of what your "Friends" have posted,  along with the comments to that post.

Well.

Some of these new "Friends" of mine have a mindset totally alien to mine. Mindsets which think it is an okay thing to verbalize outrageous nonsense about our president.

Hateful, bigoted, ignorant, dangerous nonsense.

Such as suggesting that it it time for a patriot to save America by taking out the president.

I believe making such a suggestion is a crime punishable by jail time. But the fact that suggesting such a thing is wrong in so many ways does not stop those with muddled thought processes from making such suggestions.

Which is very disturbing.

And then there are those who think it the height of cleverness to refer to our president as "Obummer".

Isn't that witty? Obummer.

It is sort of depressing reading the comments to some of what these "Friends" post. Like it is a window into something very dark and disturbing. I get the same sick feeling reading comments to a story on FOX News online. A few voices of reason try to talk sense to the ignorant nutjobs,  to no avail. Usually doing so gets the reasonable, educated, intelligent person insulted with that label the right wing nutjobs think is a searing insult.

Liberal.

Or Libber.

Or Libtard.

I restore my belief in the basic sanity of most Americans when I get off FOX News and read a more reputable website that is aimed at educated people, where the comments are cogent, thoughtful, reasonable and the discussion respectful. And where if one of those right wing nutjobs shows up to make an idiotic comment, the idiotic comment maker is shot down with style. And good humor.

Okay, it is now time for me to get off my soapbox for a couple hours.....

No comments: