Thursday, June 4, 2015

Starry Starry Skagit Night Has Me Lamenting Not Seeing A Texas Milky Way

I saw that which you see here, this morning, on the Skagit Breaking News website.

I saw the photo and thought, oh no, is Fort Worth's renowned photographer propagandist up in my old home zone of the Skagit Valley engaging in his patented brand of hyper-realistic digital photo manipulation.

Then I read the caption below the photo to learn the photo was taken by a guy named Andy Porter, with the view being from the Samish Overlook, looking at the Skagit Valley, with the Milky Way in full glow mode above.

I have not seen the Milky Way in all its milky glory since I have been in Texas. At times, at my current location, I can see quite a few stars twinkling at night, but never the Milky Way.

The most milky I have ever seen the Milky Way was whilst houseboating on Lake Powell in Utah. The night sky was lit up with stars to a level I did not realize, til then, was a possible earthbound view of the space above.

I have not been to the Big Bend Country zone of Texas, where Marfa has magical lights and I assume the sky at night shines big and bright, even though it is not in the heart of Texas, more to the west of Texas.

Anyway, I wonder what Fort Worth's renowned photographer propagandist would do with scenery which requires no lipstick to make a pig look pretty? Scenery such as what one sees in much of Utah, or my old home zone, or many locations in Texas, like the Guadalupe River, or Big Bend National Park or Guadalupe Mountains National Park.

Which leads me to wonder, are the headwaters of the Guadalupe River in the Guadalupe Mountains?

No comments: