Friday, March 20, 2015

A Bumbershoot Enabled Walk In The Texas Rain Looking At Chicken & Waffles

Finally, after days of eager anticipation, the predicted rain finally did some falling as per the prediction.

The predicted thunderstorming remains absent from my location, except for one distant boom an hour or two ago.

With rain dripping in the noon time frame I thought it would be enjoyable to open my bumbershoot and go do some drop dodging whilst walking around my neighborhood.

Eventually I ended up in Albertsons looking at the frozen food section. Being a hungry man I paid particularly close attention to the HUNGRY - MAN Selects section of Banquet TV dinners.

It has been years since I have had myself a TV dinner, I am sure that has never happened in this current century.

I may have to make an exception to my TV dinner aversion and try one I saw today, which I took a photo of, which you see above.

Boneless Fried Chicken & Waffles.

Doesn't that sound appetizing? The description on the box made it sound even more appealing....

Tender white chicken patties and waffles drizzled with syrup, home-style mashed potatoes - includes cranberry apple dessert.

I never heard of Chicken and Waffles til I moved to Texas.

I never saw Chicken and Waffles, in person, til last summer when I was at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium watching the USA get beat in the World Cup by some other country the identity of which I no longer remember. At that event Chicken and Waffles were  heavily promoted, with the Waffles shaped like Texas.

I think I blogged about the Texas shaped waffles. I'll go see if I can find that. I may have taken a picture....

Found it, a blogging titled In The Dallas Cowboy Stadium Watching Belgium Beat The USA With Chicken & Waffles in which I learned it was Belgium I watched beat the USA. And the blogging does include a picture of the Chicken and Texas-shaped Waffles.

I wonder what the story is behind Chicken & Waffles. Is this a Texas gourmet culinary culture staple that goes way back in time?

I am not a big a fan of sweet things. Pouring syrup over fried chicken, mixed with waffles does not sound too appealing to my un-refined palate.

But, I'd give them a try, but that'd need to be in a restaurant Chicken and Waffles version, like at Buttons, not a Banquet TV dinner version....

No comments: