Thursday, November 6, 2014

Rolling My Wheels Around My Fort Worth Neighborhood Remembering Getting Scolded For Not Recycling

This beautiful first Thursday of November, with its return of blue sky, lifted me from the doldrums of Seasonally Affected Disorder (SAD) and had me rolling my wheels around my neighborhood.

Those are my handlebars parked in front of a Recycle Bin looking at my neighborhood golf course.

Do other towns put something like "Fort Worth Recycles" on their Recycle Bins?

Washington started recycling way back in the last century. I don't remember my Mount Vernon Recycle Bins having "Mount Vernon Recycles" printed on them.

When I moved to Texas I quickly unlearned the recycling habit, with all garbage going into the same garbage can. Or out the window. (joking)

I recollect about a year after moving to Texas being back up in Washington, staying in Seattle, putting an empty bottle in the regular garbage can and getting told by the woman of the house, in a severe scolding tone, "You forget, we recycle here."

I remember getting multiple repetitive recycled recycling scoldings. I have not seen that scolding Seattle woman in years....

3 comments:

Steve A said...

Nowadays, you can get FINED for not recycling enough in Seattle. I don't know if they have garbage police that measure "recyclable content" in the garbage, but it is the sort of thing Seattle might do. OTOH, Ocean Shores won't recycle yard waste and you are not allowed to put glass in the recycling bin. The recycling bins there say "LeMay" on the side.

Anonymous said...

Do other towns put something like "Fort Worth Recycles" on their Recycle Bins?

My town in south Texas doesn't have the city name on the recycling bin or on the trash/garbage bin.

Fort Worth is the gas bag and braggadocio capital of Texas. I don't mean people like you. I mean the Fort Worth Way crowd. Examples of the Fort Worth Way crowd include Dud Kennedy, Betsy Price & the studs and the guy who can't keep his pants up, Dennis Shingleton.

None said...

I had always assumed that recycling was nothing but good for the community and society as a whole until watching a segment of the thought provoking
Showtime series "Penn and Teller's Bull&@&$" which produced some compelling academic work about the true benefit and purpose of the recycling fad.

It was very interesting to learn about the origin of the concept of modern recycling in the first place.

All these are important because as you point out, recycling has become something akin to religious fervor for many, including shaming, scolding, and inculcating guilt in conscientious people like me who live simply and want to protect our environment and the planet.

You can check the episode out on YouTube. If you don't get to watch for whatever reason, the evidences presented point to the wastefulness of recycling as well as the successful brainwashing of the public over the last few decades.