Saturday, August 23, 2014

Today MSG Kept Me From My Regularly Scheduled Saturday Mountain Bike Ride Followed By Town Talk

This next to last Saturday of August I have found myself rendered miserable by MSG.

I consumed some beef jerky and some tortilla chips not realizing both contained monosodium glutamate.

It was way back in the last century, whilst enjoying Chinese food at a Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Chinese restaurant in Vancouver's Chinatown when I found myself suddenly feeling nauseated, red-faced and hurting with a pounding headache.

I did not know at the time that I was super-sensitive to something called monosodium glutamate. It was some time later, after MSG became controversial, that I realized that it was MSG which caused me to not have myself a mighty fine time at times when eating out at some restaurants.

I got the MSG related illustration from a website dedicated to "The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about MSG" with the tagline "This Web site is dedicated to people with problems that once defied medical diagnosis -- people who discovered that elimination of MSG from their diets let them be well."

I have successfully avoided a MSG headache this century, until today. Hours after the poisoning I am slowly beginning to recover. But, it is too late and the recovery too weak, to go on my regularly scheduled mountain bike ride in Gateway Park followed by treasure hunting at Town Talk.

I have not been to Town Talk for several weeks. I was looking forward to going there today. Maybe I will feel up to Town Talking by Monday. I hope so.....

2 comments:

MLK said...

I've missed your weekly Town Talk reports. I look forward to it all week long. Perhaps in 496 days I will see you there. I hope to reside in the Hillside Community very near downtown. I feel like I'm in prison, waiting for my parole.

Durango said...

MLK, I've missed my Town Talk reports too. I don't think I have been to TT since the first Saturday of August. That day it was a crowded zoo. My visits to TT usually are combined with biking at Gateway Park, which I've only done twice this month. I think this may be a heat related malady. I don't know where the Hillside Community is, unless it's those cool apartment complexes on the Trinity Bluffs.