Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Walk In Arlington With A Village Creek Cicada Before Biking With The Indian Ghosts

No, that is not an artist's rendering of what Fubbo the Hut would look like as an insect.

What that is, I think, is a cicada who has finished his mating duties and so, with nothing left to do, died.

I can see where maybe the patterns of the textiles which make up the cicadas clothing may have been an inspiration for Indian garb.

I like the color scheme. I would wear it.

I came upon this cicada corpse today in Arlington's Village Creek Natural Historical Area, near the overlook which looks over the formerly Blue Bayou which is now green and brown.

There were several cicada corpses in the pool with me this morning. I prefer the cicadas to be alive and making their distinctive cicada mating calls, rather than swimming lifelessly with me.

After I took several pictures of the cicada corpse, motion in the corner of my left eye caught my attention. Looking left I saw what appeared to be a cicada in its death throes.

I switched the camera to video mode and stealthily made my way to the BIG bug. By the time I got to the cicada it was no longer moving, so I used my cicada prompting stick to try and prompt some action.

The cicada prompting stick worked, the resulting action is documented in the YouTube video below.....

No comments: