Sunday, March 2, 2014
Minus 6 Degrees In Fort Worth With A Winter Storm Warning Plus A Wind Chill Advisory
Minus 6 degrees. Brrrrr.
There have been several bouts of freezing rain today, more so than I have ever experienced before.
The most lacerating bout of freezing rain happened soon upon leaving my abode for the second time today, with the second time being a return to Miss Puerto Rico's because I forgot to leave her faucets dripping.
This afternoon the U.S. National Weather Service updated its earlier WINTER STORM WARNING and added a new warning in the form of a WIND CHILL ADVISORY, which you can read below...
....WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM CST MONDAY...
* LOCATION...THIS STATEMENT IS FOR THE COUNTIES OF GRAYSON... DENTON...COLLIN...TARRANT...DALLAS...ROCKWALL...KAUFMAN... JOHNSON...AND ELLIS.
* TIMING...TEMPERATURES ARE ALREADY WELL BELOW FREEZING AND LIGHT ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS OF SLEET ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH THIS EVENING.
* ACCUMULATION...A TRACE TO A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION IS FORECAST. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH OF SLEET ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH THIS EVENING.
* MAIN IMPACT...LIGHT FREEZING RAIN WILL COAT BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES WITH A GLAZE OF ICE. ANY SLEET ACCUMULATIONS WILL LEAD TO SLICK SPOTS ON ALL ROADWAYS. TRAVEL WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS THIS AFTERNOON.
* WIND CHILL VALUES...WIND CHILL VALUES OF 0 TO -5 DEGREES ARE LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.
* OTHER IMPACTS...TEMPERATURES WILL FALL INTO THE TEENS TONIGHT. ANY WATER ON AREA ROADWAYS WILL LIKELY FREEZE AT THESE TEMPERATURES MAKING FOR HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.
A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO THE COLD MAY RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS...WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES.
When is Global Warming scheduled to arrive at this location on the planet one can not help but wonder?