Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Hiking On The Tandy Hills With Wildflowers & Rock Monuments

I do not remember how long it has been since I've driven to the summit of Mount Tandy to have myself a real fine time hiking the Tandy Hills.

A couple months would be my best estimate.

I sort of expected to see fall foliage in full fall mode today on the hills, but instead I was surprised to see few leaves changing color.

I was also surprised to see a variety of wildflowers. I do not remember seeing so much green and so much color at this point in time years previous. Likely it is my bad memory which accounts for this.

As you can see, above, via the view from the summit of Mount Tandy, looking west at the stunning skyline of beautiful downtown Fort Worth, green is still the predominant color on this section of the North Texas prairie.

As previously mentioned there are currently a variety of wildflowers adding color to the predominant green, as evidenced below.


I was not the only Tandy Hill hiker today. As I stood on the top of one hill,  zooming in take a picture of the various shades of green, I was surprised to see someone waving back at me.


Before I found myself being waved at I found the below rock monument, constructed at the top of the trail which leads from Tandy Falls, at that trail's intersection with the View Street Trail.


Who built this rock monument? And why? It appeared designed to provide shelter for small critters with its cave-like design.

Speaking of critters, the below critter related sign has been added to the Tandy Hills since I last hiked the hills.


The sign reads almost like a bible verse.

IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL FOR ANY PERSON TO INTENTIONALLY HARASS, HARM, PURSUE,  HUNT, SHOOT, WOUND, KILL, TRAP, CAPTURE OR COLLECT ANY ANIMAL OR BIRD IN ANY PARK.

Years ago I helped a Fort Worth cop pursue, capture and collect a horse which had been running wild on the Tandy Hills. Eventually we managed to get the horse into a corral near the tower on top of Mount Tandy.

I think maybe this wild horse capture type deal was not the type thing this sign is directed at.

What with this rare Tandy Hills hiking and a refreshingly cool swim this morning I am feeling well exercised with a plentiful supply of aerobically induced endorphins elevating my mood to an extremely happy place.

No comments: